Brake lights not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rdhenderson

Reaction score
My Brake lights do not seem to be working. All of the other rear lights work and the fuses all seem to be in good shape. Any thoughts on what to do next?

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bulbs are ok?? My 95 had blown the drivers side tail panel twice. The first time I noticed the guy hacked up the wiring and one was loose, so I fixed it. When it blew the second time I go new LED lights and totally removed the hack job that was there.

Do you get any lights back there at all?? If I recall all the bulbs were the same dual filliment bulbs, swap them around and see if you can track down exactly what circuits aren't working ... you may be in for some new panels or lights.

These are the ones I ended up with:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1992...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item414e245b32

99Yukon_Z71

Crazy Puerto Rican
Reaction score
First off you did the right thing, check all fuses. If the hazards and turnsignals are also dead, then it WILL be the fuse. Check wiring, sockets(circuit boards) for any rust or contamination and also the brake on/off switch at the pedal. If your cruise control wont disengage by applying the brake, theres your dilemma. Hope this helps!

OP
OP
R

rdhenderson

Reaction score
I pulled the left tail light off and checked the bulbs and they all appear to be good. Based on the fact that both brake lights as well as the third brake light is not working I do not believe it is the bulb. Hard to check the wiring because it is all routed up in the panels and tucked in beind the receiver hitch. I'll give the Cruise control test a shot and see if that is it.

riviera rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
brake light switch under the dash drivers side, cheap fix kind of a pain in the ass to do, dont brake the clips when u take it off!!!

that IS your problem i gaurantee it, same thing happend to mine last summer when i first got the truck

its a little pressure switch when u push the pedal it pushes in the button and sends power to the lights

lemme know when u fix it! :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rdhenderson

Reaction score
brake light switch under the dash drivers side, cheap fix kind of a pain in the ass to do, dont brake the clips when u take it off!!!

that IS your problem i gaurantee it, same thing happend to mine last summer when i first got the truck

its a little pressure switch when u push the pedal it pushes in the button and sends power to the lights

lemme know when u fix it! :)

Where did you buy the replacement part? and how much was it?

riviera rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
autozone or advance auto parts, less than 20$ if i recall, i know it was pretty cheap takes about 30/45 minutes to install cuz its a pain to get to just make sure u dont break the clips cuz i think you can only get them from the dealer lol

OP
OP
R

rdhenderson

Reaction score
What a pain in the a** to get off. However, I believe you were right about it being the switch. When I opened the door I heard a clicking sound from under the dash that went away when ever I pushed on the brake pedal. I was able to find replacement parts, and clips, from RockAuto.com. One thing I did notice is that when the switch was removed none of the other electronics seemed to work? Maybe it is a safety item?

riviera rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well ididnt mess around with anything else while the switch was removed, but im 99% positive thats your problem

OP
OP
R

rdhenderson

Reaction score
Riviera Rider was right. I received my new switch in the mail along with some new clips last night. hooked it up and now the lights are working. $20 in parts and about an hour of time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts