Brake issue on 2001 Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Newkon

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have an issue that has been persistent with my 2001 GMC Yukon XL. My passenger front brake caliper keeps locking up. I have replaced the caliper and the truck was normal for a couple of days until i made a couple hundred mile trip south and it began to lock up again. It seems to lock up faster with more use of the brake. I have done some research and I believe that it is possibly a brake line going to the caliper that has broken apart inside and is restricting the fluid from returning to the master cylinder. When I was replacing the caliper the first time, I noticed that I couldn't get both pistons to decompress and if I tried to decompress the pistons individually, one would decompress and the other would do the opposite.

If anyone has had this issue, please give me some ideas.

OP
OP
N

Newkon

Reaction score
That is what Im thinking. Am i able to replace the flex tube only or do i have to reroute a brand new brake line to its origin?

Lord Snax

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would replace the brake line. It most likely has collapsed. I had a '07 VUE that did that. I had to replace both front brake lines, and the front passenger caliper cause I broke the bleeder valve right off the caliper and couldn't fix it.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The line from the caliper to the frame rail is a flexible assembly (one piece line with metal and rubber hose). Then at the frame rail that assembly connects to a rigid metal line that goes to the ABS manifold assembly that is just about even with the rear of the drivers side seat underneath the vehicle and on the inside of the frame rail. And those lines are a complete ***** to change out.

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What you want to do is remove the caliper from the rotor. Try to push the piston back into its bore and while leaving pressure on the piston, crack open the bleeder valve. If the piston does not move until you crack the bleeder valve then the internal of the flexible brake line has a tear and is working as a check valve allowing fluid to be pushed towards the caliper but not away.

Replace the flex line.

OP
OP
N

Newkon

Reaction score
Thank you M1Gunner and everyone else for the input! Ill check it out today(finally have a day off)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout