Brake Flex Line Replacement - Tips / Tricks / Photos

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mals

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to replace all six of my rubber flex brake lines with stainless flex lines. Today I pulled the rear wheels off to do a little prep work, and plan out my order of operations for next weekend. In tracing the lines, the two flex lines that drop down from the frame cross member to the rear axle look like they are going to be the difficult ones.

Does anyone have any tips for how to brake free the fittings from the solid brake line to the top of the flex tube that is up between the cross member and the body?

I can get a clear line of site to it after I pulled the spare tire, and I can get a wrench on the fitting by coming up the front side of the cross member, but I don't think there is enough room to swing the wrench. Even if I get the first one off it would then be in the way of getting the wrench on the second one.

2017-11-18 11.44.37.jpg
2017-11-18 11.44.59.jpg

Is this the project that finally makes me buy a set of crowsfeet socket tips?

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dont those clips come off? Then u can move the line a little to get more clearance, Clarence

Id soak the crap out of them for week too...:2cents:

UrbanSuburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Galante is right those clips come off, also if you look, the main clip is also held down by a bolt. Take that off, use a mirror lol and you should be good. Which rubber lines are you replacing, the ones to the calipers?

OP
OP
mals

mals

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Galante is right those clips come off, also if you look, the main clip is also held down by a bolt. Take that off, use a mirror lol and you should be good. Which rubber lines are you replacing, the ones to the calipers?

Thanks I'll take another look in the morning. I'm replacing all six flex lines on my Yukon. The two out to the front calipers, the two out to the rear calipers, and the two flex lines from the frame down to the rear axle.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Thanks I'll take another look in the morning. I'm replacing all six flex lines on my Yukon. The two out to the front calipers, the two out to the rear calipers, and the two flex lines from the frame down to the rear axle.

What size flare wrench is that?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still need to do mine. It's only one line on mine but I couldn't even get to where I could see it. Following to see how it goes for you.

OP
OP
mals

mals

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still need to do mine. It's only one line on mine but I couldn't even get to where I could see it. Following to see how it goes for you.
I have StabliTrak, so I assume there are two independent lines the whole way to the back so it can control braking each wheel individually.

I'll update here with the specifics of this issue, and my entire brake overhaul and NNBS front brake upgrade on my build thread.

UrbanSuburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The two rear lines to the Calipers are ok, they will fit nice, watch the two front ones however, they really need to be routed. Following the stock route did not work for me, I had the line get rubbed, it turns out they made the lines to amost fit with no slack at all. I hate to think what would have happened if I did not catch it. I sent them back and the replacements were exactly the same.

UrbanSuburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are right the GMT800 got Stabiltrak in the 05 model year as stock, the BPMV under the Drivers side seat will have 6 lines instead of the usual 5. I had a great laugh when I did all the brake lines, I got the SS kit from Dorman and when the box came, it was over 7 feet tall and you could pick it up with your baby finger. That Front line to the passenger side front was over 13 feet long, and in the box it was folded up special. The nice thing about that kit was it came with all the fittings and it was only 40 dollars. In fact GM came out with a special written article about how to change all the lines. I am trying to remember it as it was a great help in routing all the lines and hoses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mldawson11