Brake bleed issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
02 Yukon 4x4 176k miles. Tried to install Russell braided brake hose kit, but ran into an issue with bleeding the lines. On rear caliper, when I open the bleed screw, more fluid leakd out the base of the screw than through the hole. Is that normal? It's a frickin mess with that. Took out the screw all the way and the hole on the bottom was plugged with junk, cleaned it, but it still leaks more from the bleed screw base than through the hole. Anyone encounter this issue before?
BTW, the Russell hoses have a smooth coating on them, so no exposed braids, and the fronts do not follow OEM routing path FYI.

Searay45db

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so now you have opened up Pandora's box. Here is what most Yuki and Subby owners do not know. Normally you can just pump the brakes too bleed. Nope, not with GM. Problem is with the ABS module. One of the channels has to be activated. Whoops, no one told me that. If you go to All Data, they will give you the instructions with the computer. So, first here is the good news. Autel makes a very inexpensive computer that allowes you to bleed the brakes for GMC/Chevy trucks. It's a pain, as you have a 2001, you will actually use the 2005 year program, but it will bleed out the ABS pump channel. I have the **** Check Pro. Amazon has it. I love this bad boy. Support sucks, but you can do a lot with this sucker. this has an automated bleeding program for GM. Also go to Amazon and you can get a bottle for blessing. Yes, I always made mine, but these rock, they have a built in wire to hold the bottle as well as the rubber tubing for over the blender screw. I just flushed tow of my Yuki's, and I mean flushed. Can't do it right without this tool. I also use it on My Mercedes for other crap and so on.

As for the rest, you need to discoed the brake line from the caliper. GM calipers are famous for freezing. You maybe working on a dead caliper. See if you get good drip, and then you should be able to purge it out. I bought a caliper tool, get them anywhere, use it to compress the pistons. this sill also let you know how messed up you are. On a 2001, if this is new, probably is cooked. Good luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe

Latest posts