Blurred's 04 Tahoe Z71 build - Mr. Greenly Greenerson

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jerryjoe28

That Guy
Reaction score
Went to a local pick and pull for the first time out here. Walked out with several things I needed plus an Escalade cluster cover and a denali dash that are in great shape. The surround needs painted, but the cluster was cleaned up and installed last night.

View attachment 187888

what a score! never find stuff like that around here :(

MadDogDelpho

Texcellent
Reaction score
The axle provides support for the hub. I think a guy on here pulled his axles and had a catastrophic failure: his tire came off at highway speeds. You could possibly switch over to 2wd hubs, but 4wd hubs need to have the cv axle

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The axle provides support for the hub. I think a guy on here pulled his axles and had a catastrophic failure: his tire came off at highway speeds. You could possibly switch over to 2wd hubs, but 4wd hubs need to have the cv axle
I'm pretty sure there wasn't a problem. I remember the thread titled "Yukon down ,AWD delete" and I think it was @01ssreda4 (edited) that did it. Everybody said his wheels were going to fall off but I believe its still driving. I'll have to look it up again.
Here's the thread and I asked him the question just now:
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/yukon-down-awd-delete-headers-converter-etc.81191/page-12

Last edited:

MadDogDelpho

Texcellent
Reaction score
It could very easily have been a coincidence, like something hadn't been tightened down correctly, and the wheel just so happened to fall off. No clue. I'd just rather be safe than sorry, but I also don't want to spread any falsehoods.

jerryjoe28

That Guy
Reaction score

so the axel nut somehow holds the wheel bearing on? if that is the case couldn't you just split the axel on that end and put the end back in but have the bad shaft out of the truck? again this is just all speculation but if the shaft where to go it would hit something and I know with my luck it would destroy something lol

mazdawg(Mikey)

HGIC(head ginger in charge)
Reaction score
yes without the axle in place theres nothing to hold the hub. i had a friend with an awd silverado ss pull his axles and his wheel fell off on his first test drive after reassembly.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so the axel nut somehow holds the wheel bearing on? if that is the case couldn't you just split the axel on that end and put the end back in but have the bad shaft out of the truck? again this is just all speculation but if the shaft where to go it would hit something and I know with my luck it would destroy something lol
Check out the thread I linked above. Look on page 8. The op has had no problems but others have. If I was to do it, I'd swap out the hubs for 2WD ones.

Last edited:

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went to a local pick and pull for the first time out here. Walked out with several things I needed plus an Escalade cluster cover and a denali dash that are in great shape. The surround needs painted, but the cluster was cleaned up and installed last night.

View attachment 187888

Nice find I could use parts off those trucks lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mldawson11