Blown head gasket/Cracked head/tired of mechanics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dubyagee01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2000 does it sometimes. I keep a key from another truck that fits but wont turn the lock. I put it in and work it back and forth then start it with the right key. Works every time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
bigfootchiro

bigfootchiro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2000 does it sometimes. I keep a key from another truck that fits but wont turn the lock. I put it in and work it back and forth then start it with the right key. Works every time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Interesting! I’ll have to try that next time.

OP
OP
bigfootchiro

bigfootchiro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So turns out, valves were still too tight. I can’t believe how tight they were, considering the procedures we followed. Now adjusting them with the valve covers off, and it’s waaaaay easier! Doing passenger side tomorrow. Only problem so far I think is with the distributor. I can’t seem to get it to set down with the metal tab pointing at the 8 mark on the distributor. I’ve got it close, but it’s a hair to the right. I’ve been messing with the oil pump to adjust this, but I’ll move it just a tad, and the tab will move halfway to the flat surface on the housing. At idle, the timing is at -22. Haven’t risen to 1100RPM as the valves are still being adjusted. Hopefully after valves are all adjusted, it will smooth out the idle. Any tips or tricks would be great!

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the slot in the oil pump also lines up with the distributor rotor, with a long flathead point the oil pump at cyl 1 also. note which way the cam gear and distributor gear mesh, when you set the distributor in it should be a few degrees CCW (or whatever is meshes) so when fully meshed and bottomed out it'll be pointed at cyl 1. there shouldnt be any timing advance at idle maybe a degree or two. but if you've got the oil pump and everything lined up you will leave distributor clamp loose and turn the entire distributor while the engine is running to get the timing set

OP
OP
bigfootchiro

bigfootchiro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I can’t seem to get it past -16 to -21 timing. Wtf? Between the last two days I’ve probably spent 3 hours just messing with the distributor

OP
OP
bigfootchiro

bigfootchiro

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zeronightwolf

Latest posts