Blown head gasket/Cracked head/tired of mechanics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cyl 1 is the front driver side piston, take the spark plug out use a straw and turn the crank bolt till you make that piston top dead center. aka all the way up. then take the rotor cap off and see where its pointing, should be pointing at cyl 1, if its not lift it back up and re install till it is.

if its is pointing at cyl 1 you likely got a plug wire crossed up, worth double check there.

willxfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be sure that cyl 1 is on TDC on the compression stroke. If using Scottydoggs method posted above, when straw starts to rise, you can pull the straw out and put finger over the spark plug hole to verify you are getting compression and not vacuum. Then put straw back in and watch for maximum rise. Index line on harmonic balancer should match up with notch on front timing cover.

willxfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The crank relearn procedure is done using an advanced scan tool. For re-stabbing the distributor, I've used the method in the following link with good results. When I bought a new Delphi distributor after rebuilding the old 350 into a 383, I had to knock out the spit roll pin on the bottom of the distributor and turn the gear 180 degrees to get everything lined up right as described in the link. If you are still using the original equipment you probably wont have to do that. Its just useful info to know if you get a new distributor or new camshaft.

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/distributor.html

OP
OP
bigfootchiro

bigfootchiro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cyl 1 is the front driver side piston, take the spark plug out use a straw and turn the crank bolt till you make that piston top dead center. aka all the way up. then take the rotor cap off and see where its pointing, should be pointing at cyl 1, if its not lift it back up and re install till it is.

if its is pointing at cyl 1 you likely got a plug wire crossed up, worth double check there.

Be sure that cyl 1 is on TDC on the compression stroke. If using Scottydoggs method posted above, when straw starts to rise, you can pull the straw out and put finger over the spark plug hole to verify you are getting compression and not vacuum. Then put straw back in and watch for maximum rise. Index line on harmonic balancer should match up with notch on front timing cover.

What exactly is the straw doing? Just touching the piston and feeling/watching it move up?

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
turn the engine till the piston pushes the straw up to its highest point, then make sure its on the compression stroke. might have to turn it over once more, 50/50 shot there.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score

What y’all think? No compression?
I'm by no means a mechanic, but if it was me I'd pull a plug and put my finger over the hole as someone cranked it. I'd be looking for air being pushed out. I'd think if there was no compression, or low compression, it wouldn't really be forcing out much air. But--l'm No expert.

OP
OP
bigfootchiro

bigfootchiro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How tight are the rockers?
They must be too tight. Loosening then now then trying to start.

I'm by no means a mechanic, but if it was me I'd pull a plug and put my finger over the hole as someone cranked it. I'd be looking for air being pushed out. I'd think if there was no compression, or low compression, it wouldn't really be forcing out much air. But--l'm No expert.

Checked earlier. No air in or out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons