Blend door actuator or controller issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drif10

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Posting just to thank the posters for their excellent info, and to bookmark it for me for further reference. :)

CaliChevy916

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Heat instead of A/C

I wasn't necessarily sure if this is the same problem you guys had but in my 02 Tahoe, I'm blowing extremely hot air out the from both driver and passenger side vents. I tried switching to defrost mode (still hot) and feet mode (still hot). I tried pulling the fuse to recalibrate the system and it seems like it worked for like two days and then it ended up being stuck in hot again. This is frustrating to the max. Does this sound like something that can be fixed my cleaning out the actuator itself and if so which one (driver and passenger side)?

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:17 PM ----------

I wasn't necessarily sure if this is the same problem you guys had but in my 02 Tahoe, I'm blowing extremely hot air out the from both driver and passenger side vents. I tried switching to defrost mode (still hot) and feet mode (still hot). I tried pulling the fuse to recalibrate the system and it seems like it worked for like two days and then it ended up being stuck in hot again. This is frustrating to the max. Does this sound like something that can be fixed my cleaning out the actuator itself and if so which one (driver and passenger side)?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the actuator but there's another reset procedure that's worked for me that you might try first:
1. start truck
2. set temp to COLD
3. shut off truck, open door to interrupt retained acc. power
4. disconnect HVAC control module
5. turn temp on module to HOT
6. reconnect HVAC control module
7. start truck

Don't mess with the controls for a few minutes while it recalibrates, then try turning it to cold and a/c on.
Good luck; this worked for me after switching my control assemblies out. If you try the method of pulling fuses, in my case I found a total of 5 fuses for a/c and hvac in the 2 fuse locations for my '02 Denali. I was only getting hot air in the back and I pulled all 5 and left them out for 5-10 minutes and after I put them back in, let the truck run for 5 minutes and then turned it to cold and it worked.

SnowBuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
driver side hot sometimes

2005 Yukon XL
A/C all works fine. The all-of-a-sudden...driver side will blow hot. Turn off engine and start again and all back to normal for a few days. I don't see how cleaning an actuater would be it. Seems more like an electrical issue?!? Like the control???

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2005 Yukon XL
A/C all works fine. The all-of-a-sudden...driver side will blow hot. Turn off engine and start again and all back to normal for a few days. I don't see how cleaning an actuater would be it. Seems more like an electrical issue?!? Like the control???

That sounds like a blend door actuator problem. I haven't done one but there's a sticky on it. Or do a search for blend door.

SnowBuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can see an actuator if a blend door were "stuck" in a position, but mine will "spontaneously" change to hot-on-the-left when at a LIGHT. Wouldn't that point toward the controller...an erratic electrical signal to the blend door???

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take the negative cable off for like 10 minutes and reset the system works for allot of people.

rockstar143

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Dead thread but I recently picked up a used 04 XL and had the same issue...driver side would blow cold for 10 seconds then switch to hot. Didn't matter if pointed at feet or face or windshield...

I tried the pulling fuse trick, to no avail...it did not reset it.

Finally, I found this and a few other sources and removed the driver door blend actuator before buying a new one...cleaned all the grease off the black wheel and the contacts and bent them down a little to ensure good contact. Put it back together and holy LORDDDD AC is finally kicking and cold in that thing! What a lifesaver because I need to keep this car cost effective, I have a kid, it's hot out...and the passenger window assembly is screwed too...bad combo.

I signed up for the forum just to thank the posters in here...forums save us DIY guys and a lot of techs out there.

Here it is, removed from under the plastic cover
40882849654_7d577437a6_c.jpg
Here was the blend motor taken apart
40702104635_4dcb7c4dee_c.jpg
and here it is, making me happy
27723929318_645751260e_c.jpg