Blackout grill on nbs denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
J-B Weld KwikWeld Quick Setting Steel Reinforced Epoxy

For the damaged struts between the main grille and the turn signal surrounds I just used the epoxy. For the main break in the grille surround I embedded a 1"x4" piece of perforated steel in the epoxy to bridge the area.
Did you sand/scuff it before applying the jb weld?

mals

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you sand/scuff it before applying the jb weld?

Not directly, but when I got the grille off I saw that someone had already tried to repair the areas with an epoxy that was not really designed for plastic and had cracked. I scrapped all the existing epoxy off with a dull chisel, so the areas were pretty roughed up when I applied the JB Weld. It may not be necessary, but roughing up the area definitely would be a good idea if you were doing a similar repair.

I did Scotch Brite and then wet sand the the chrome mesh before I painted it. I'm fairly happy with the overall repair, and finding a replacement grille has dropped down to the bottom of the to-do list.

XLDenali06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the middle option best on your truck. Everything black except that honey comb in the middle chrome. That looks killer because your truck is black. Just the right amount of black and chrome on your truck.

That's what I've decided to go with, especially after finding some pics online that have the chrome honeycomb and black surround, with the nnbs black and chrome GMC badge (which I've switched to since the pic used for the PS). Looks great that way, imho. Here's one example I found:

frontblack.jpg

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what I've decided to go with, slavishly after finding some pics online that have the chrome honeycomb and black surround, with the nnbs black and chrome GMC badge (which I've switched to since the pic used for the PS). Looks great that way, imho. Here's one example I found:

View attachment 81936
Do you have a p/n for the NNBS badge?

XLDenali06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a p/n for the NNBS badge?

Don't know the part number, but here's a link to where I bought mine on Amazon. It's pricey, at $90 ($100 on eBay), but worth it to me. Plus I got like $40 back from Amazon when I returned the solid black emblem, so that took some of the sting out. Definitely cheaper to dip the original though, if you're so inclined. Anyway, here's the link:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01KN7B4K4/

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know the part number, but here's a link to where I bought mine on Amazon. It's pricey, at $90 ($100 on eBay), but worth it to me. Plus I got like $40 back from Amazon when I returned the solid black emblem, so that took some of the sting out. Definitely cheaper to dip the original though, if you're so inclined. Anyway, here's the link:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01KN7B4K4/
@XLDenali06 , I didn't realize the NNBS grill logo was different than the nbs. I like it alot! Much cleaner with the the obnoxious border! Did it go into your grill without any modification? Thinking I might pick one up and color match it to my truck. It would be easier to color match because it doesn't have the little plastic border surround.

XLDenali06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@XLDenali06 , I didn't realize the NNBS grill logo was different than the nbs. I like it alot! Much cleaner with the the obnoxious border! Did it go into your grill without any modification? Thinking I might pick one up and color match it to my truck. It would be easier to color match because it doesn't have the little plastic border surround.

I think I may have misspoke when I referred to it as an nnbs emblem. I thought it was an option with those because I've seen quite a few around here that are otherwise stock but with the black emblem instead of the red. But after a little internet sleuthing, all I can find is the one made by All Sales Manufacturing. Anyway, they make several different styling options, all made of billet aluminum. You can get out with or without the chrome border. I originally had the solid black, then switched to the black with chrome border so the emblem didn't get visually lost in the black rectangle it sits on in the middle of the grille. They mount via threaded rods that screw into the back of the emblem at 4 places, go through the grille using existing holes, then it's just a washer and a nut. Hand tightening is plenty. The hardest part is getting to the back side of the grille, obviously you have to remove the fan shroud (that's what I call it anyway, from the days when I had my 92 Roadmaster with its big mechanical fan, it may be called something different now, Idk).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felixmontiel