Blackout grill on nbs denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XLDenali06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I opted to black out the mesh insert since my body paint is black. I thought the total lack of chrome would be a little too aggressive, and the all chrome look of the stock grille was a little more then I liked.

View attachment 81683

@XLDenali06, this is pretty close to what your's would look like (just shorter).

I really like the look of that. Did you paint it or plastidip it? Wonder how it'll hold up over time.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
I originally wanted to black out my Denali grille. But then I happened to see a Silverado with a blacked out grille and to me it just looked like it was missing it's grille. Like I was seeing the radiator or something. I didn't like it.

So now, I'm thinking maybe the chrome Denali grille isn't so bad. I'm gonna work with it.
But yours is black. Would look good imo

XLDenali06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But yours is black. Would look good imo

I'm definitely revisiting this idea. I'm thinking about blacking out the honeycomb center, and the area that surrounds the turn signals, especially since I have the smoked lenses on those. That would just leave the main surround in chrome, and I've got the black GMC emblem that is outlined in chrome. I think it's time I learned to plastidip.

mals

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really like the look of that. Did you paint it or plastidip it? Wonder how it'll hold up over time.
It's painted. This grille was damaged when I got it last year, so I repaired the cracks with epoxy and sprayed it with a semi-gloss Rustoleum designed for plastic. It is basically a test to see if I Iiked the look, which I do. If my repairs fail or the paint doesn't hold up I'll find a new grille and have it professionally painted.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
It's painted. This grille was damaged when I got it last year, so I repaired the cracks with epoxy and sprayed it with a semi-gloss Rustoleum designed for plastic. It is basically a test to see if I Iiked the look, which I do. If my repairs fail or the paint doesn't hold up I'll find a new grille and have it professionally painted.
Which epoxy ?

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
I'm definitely revisiting this idea. I'm thinking about blacking out the honeycomb center, and the area that surrounds the turn signals, especially since I have the smoked lenses on those. That would just leave the main surround in chrome, and I've got the black GMC emblem that is outlined in chrome. I think it's time I learned to plastidip.
Quick ps. I say colormatched grille surround, chrome insert imo.
b51d59d698d6087d23b17887f65aa6cf.jpgf50c53ac1539520ea06153ab67f48f64.jpg
7cbf85251fb36df9947362c6ecdf1a7a.jpg

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I opted to black out the mesh insert since my body paint is black. I thought the total lack of chrome would be a little too aggressive, and the all chrome look of the stock grille was a little more then I liked.

View attachment 81683

@XLDenali06, this is pretty close to what your's would look like (just shorter).
Yours looks good like that.:disgust:

XLDenali06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick ps. I say colormatched grille surround, chrome insert imo.
b51d59d698d6087d23b17887f65aa6cf.jpgf50c53ac1539520ea06153ab67f48f64.jpg

Thanks for the photoshops. Gives me an idea of what it'll look like. Added a 6 pack of black plastidip to my Amazon subscribe and save. Should have it at the end of the month. Then I'll probably be wanting to dip everything! Lol

mals

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which epoxy ?

J-B Weld KwikWeld Quick Setting Steel Reinforced Epoxy

For the damaged struts between the main grille and the turn signal surrounds I just used the epoxy. For the main break in the grille surround I embedded a 1"x4" piece of perforated steel in the epoxy to bridge the area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe