Blackbear tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

krzyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Selling autocal with Blackbear tune currently loaded with 2015 Yukon (6.2l) tune, tune can be transferred and change vehicle if needed. 400 + shipping from 32092

BlackBearPerf

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Selling autocal with Blackbear tune currently loaded with 2015 Yukon (6.2l) tune, tune can be transferred and change vehicle if needed. 400 + shipping from 32092
Just wanted to add, so there is no confusion, that the tunes are not transferable. The new owner would have to purchase a tune and vin license which would be $325/$385 depending on vehicle.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Just wanted to add, so there is no confusion, that the tunes are not transferable. The new owner would have to purchase a tune and vin license which would be $325/$385 depending on vehicle.

Just out of curiosity... how much is a tune if you buy the autocal from you directly?

Not including the autocal... Just the tune???

BlackBearPerf

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity... how much is a tune if you buy the autocal from you directly?

Not including the autocal... Just the tune???
The price we sell it for covers the hardware and custom tune from us. If you already have the AutoCal the tune and license is the above price.

kbuskill

Reaction score
The price we sell it for covers the hardware and custom tune from us. If you already have the AutoCal the tune and license is the above price.

Makes it almost pointless to buy a used autocal unless you have the exact truck with the exact mods as the one it came off of then doesn't it???

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Makes it almost pointless to buy a used autocal unless you have the exact truck with the exact mods as the one it came off of then doesn't it???
Each tune is for a specific VIN like they said; the tune isn't transferrable. The Autocal is just the handheld computer used to transfer the tune. BB sells the Autocal with lifelong tuning for $599 which covers one VIN. If you want to tune additional vehicles they sell the tune for $325 up to a '17. '17-up is extra. So you're paying $274 for the Autocal new and $325 for the tune. One Autocal can be used for 221 VINS but you need to purchase a tune for each vehicle. So if the price is right a used Autocal makes sense but it needs to be less than the $274 that BB sells a new one for. How much less is up to the buyer. So @krzyd you'll need to come way down on that price if you want to sell it.

kbuskill

Reaction score
Each tune is for a specific VIN like they said; the tune isn't transferrable. The Autocal is just the handheld computer used to transfer the tune. BB sells the Autocal with lifelong tuning for $599 which covers one VIN. If you want to tune additional vehicles they sell the tune for $325 up to a '17. '17-up is extra. So you're paying $274 for the Autocal new and $325 for the tune. One Autocal can be used for 221 VINS but you need to purchase a tune for each vehicle. So if the price is right a used Autocal makes sense but it needs to be less than the $274 that BB sells a new one for. How much less is up to the buyer. So @krzyd you'll need to come way down on that price if you want to sell it.

So if I understand you correctly... the tune on his autocal is absolutely useless to anyone else because it is locked to the VIN of his truck..?

Damn... that really sucks... makes me like my Diablo tuner even more... at least you can sell it to someone and they can use it without spending more money as long as you put the stock tune back onto the truck.

I am not certain if the custom Diablew tune is VIN specific, although I doubt it is. But it's only $150 for an extra license to tune another vehicle either way.

Seems like if someone had the same engine transmission combo as the OP that BB could just reset the VIN for them at a discounted price... how long could it really take to change 17 numbers???

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's VIN locked however every Blackbear tune is custom to the vehicle and driver and can be updated for as long as the owner keeps it for no extra charge. I believe the Diablo is a canned tune. I can't see a company selling a product that can be updated forever and allow that to change hands and vehicles, that would make for a bad business model. But to each their own. I know I wouldn't go with Diablo over Blackbear. Justin has tuned The Beast at least 6 different times, every time I did an upgrade like a cam, headers, blower, etc. And the tune on my CC was easy since I already had the Autocal, it was done through email.

kbuskill

Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's VIN locked however every Blackbear tune is custom to the vehicle and driver and can be updated for as long as the owner keeps it for no extra charge. I believe the Diablo is a canned tune. I can't see a company selling a product that can be updated forever and allow that to change hands and vehicles, that would make for a bad business model. But to each their own. I know I wouldn't go with Diablo over Blackbear. Justin has tuned The Beast at least 6 different times, every time I did an upgrade like a cam, headers, blower, etc. And the tune on my CC was easy since I already had the Autocal, it was done through email.

The Diablo has canned tunes but also has my custom tune for the ECM and TCM from Diablew on it as well. Lew does them like BB... you log and send him the log then he makes changes and sends it back and you load the new tune and then drive 150+ miles and log and repeat until the process is complete. Steady driving logs and WOT logs are both done as described above.

My point was not to change the VIN for the tune on the autocal for free but to perhaps give a little discount to someone who might have the same truck, engine, trans, intake, exhaust, etc. That way the tune thats currently on the autocal isn't just worthless.

I have had motorcycle ECUs tuned in the past. They have life time reflashes as well. I sold my ECU to another guy after the accident and he wanted some parameters changed (idle speed, exhaust, etc.) I sent it to the guy who does them and he made the changes for him at a discounted price.

To me it's more lile customer service... I was a customer of his. He made money off of me when the ECU was reflashed the first time. As a service to me he reprogrammed the ECU for a smaller fee and gained another customer in the process.

People sell trucks and wreck trucks all the time. I would be pissed if I wrecked my truck and bought another one just like it and swapped all my goodies over only to find out that my tune was no longer any good and I had to pay full price for another.

Bad business model... all depends on how you look at it I guess.

If I were doing big power mods like blower, turbo, etc. I would obviously go the BB route.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons