Black wheels on a silver LTZ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoe14LTZ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am flirting with the idea of doing some 20" black wheels. However, I was worried it may clash with all that chrome all over the truck.

Google images doesnt show much, is there anyone on here with that kind of setup?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't found any pics, but I can picture it pretty clearly in my mind and, yes, the black wheels look out of place with the chrome trim. They don't complement the rest of the car and it kinda exaggerates their "aftermarketness".

Personally, I like black on silver. My Tahoe isn't silver, but it's a metallic gray. I toyed with the idea of black wheels, but I, too, have an LTZ with the chrome trim. I wanted to keep the chrome trim because it fits the trim level and is a bit of a status marker (take that as you will), which means I'd have to stick with chrome wheels. But now, I'm considering swapping the chrome door handles and mirror caps for color-matched and doing something with the grille to tone it all down some. This would sway it's appeal more to the sporty side than the luxury side, which would be more befitting once lowered. The body being more "neutral" would give me more wheel color options- chrome, gloss or satin black, gunmetal gray, brushed/machined aluminum, silver or gray painted... damned-near anything would look good.

cmc76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know allot of people say that black wheels kind of get lost if they don't fill the opening up.
My tahoe is a few years older (04) and I'm not sinking that much money into it.
My 20" rims are pretty shot.
I don't plan on more than a few inches of drop and clean up the rims with either black or a dark gun metal.
In the end, its your ride.
You could dip your 20" and peel off if you don't like

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know allot of people say that black wheels kind of get lost if they don't fill the opening up.
My tahoe is a few years older (04) and I'm not sinking that much money into it.
My 20" rims are pretty shot.
I don't plan on more than a few inches of drop and clean up the rims with either black or a dark gun metal.
In the end, its your ride.
You could dip your 20" and peel off if you don't like

Yes, this is another point. Black wheels tend to look smaller. I had black 20s on my S10 and they were often confused with 18s or even 17s. Gloss black or having a machined or polished lip helps a lot.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't found any pics, but I can picture it pretty clearly in my mind and, yes, the black wheels look out of place with the chrome trim. They don't complement the rest of the car and it kinda exaggerates their "aftermarketness".

Personally, I like black on silver. My Tahoe isn't silver, but it's a metallic gray. I toyed with the idea of black wheels, but I, too, have an LTZ with the chrome trim. I wanted to keep the chrome trim because it fits the trim level and is a bit of a status marker (take that as you will), which means I'd have to stick with chrome wheels. But now, I'm considering swapping the chrome door handles and mirror caps for color-matched and doing something with the grille to tone it all down some. This would sway it's appeal more to the sporty side than the luxury side, which would be more befitting once lowered. The body being more "neutral" would give me more wheel color options- chrome, gloss or satin black, gunmetal gray, brushed/machined aluminum, silver or gray painted... damned-near anything would look good.
Hmm, i only have an lt....no z....smh

cmc76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
skip the "Z" and go for the Firebird decal on the hood. Bandit Style.

Joes16

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just my .02
I went through the same thing and decided on 22's from GM
Basically black with edges machined.
I love the look and get lots of compliments 62162.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne