Black bear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

Cbark2305

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what they sent me.....

We strive to unlock every bit of available power from your engine. This typically results in a 20-25hp, 10-20ft-lbs and 1-2mpg improvement along with improved shift patterns and throttle response, all depending on fuel quality, octane and vehicle condition prior to the tune.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I had known about the Black Bear Performance tune for a while but never thought seriously about doing it. After all, I'd bought my Tahoe as a truck and kind of thought it was overkill to try to tune it up to be a racer. I just had bigger fish to fry and more important things to focus on and pay for.

Then I discovered that they were holding a tuning event less than 10 miles from my house, and I could buy a tune without having to invest in the AutoCal device. Suddenly this was a proposition that was a few hundred bucks.....and very appealing.

Best mod yet, and the vehicle is a far better performer. Not just for WOT driving, but for easy, daily driving, too. Better throttle response, better shift points, more immediate downshifts and smoother running.

I have my Tow Mode set up as Sport Mode---more aggressive programming across the board, much firmer shifts and higher-rpm shifts, and a heck of a lot of fun to drive when you really want to get down the road. Makes the vehicle seem about 400 lbs lighter and when you nail it and the rpms go above about 4,000 rpm she really goes.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
FWIW, I had known about the Black Bear Performance tune for a while but never thought seriously about doing it. After all, I'd bought my Tahoe as a truck and kind of thought it was overkill to try to tune it up to be a racer. I just had bigger fish to fry and more important things to focus on and pay for.

Then I discovered that they were holding a tuning event less than 10 miles from my house, and I could buy a tune without having to invest in the AutoCal device. Suddenly this was a proposition that was a few hundred bucks.....and very appealing.

Best mod yet, and the vehicle is a far better performer. Not just for WOT driving, but for easy, daily driving, too. Better throttle response, better shift points, more immediate downshifts and smoother running.

I have my Tow Mode set up as Sport Mode---more aggressive programming across the board, much firmer shifts and higher-rpm shifts, and a heck of a lot of fun to drive when you really want to get down the road. Makes the vehicle seem about 400 lbs lighter and when you nail it and the rpms go above about 4,000 rpm she really goes.

I didn't realize you didn't get the autocal. Any reasoning besides $?

OP
OP
C

Cbark2305

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s not even about going faster. I want my truck to perform the best it possibly can. Don’t plan on doing any other mods to it beside maybe this tune. Might just not be worth it for me

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize you didn't get the autocal. Any reasoning besides $?

I didn't want to spend the money and was already trying to slip the tune in under wifey's radar. LOL

I'm fine not having the device----since I got the in-person tune, I'm very confident that Justin dialed it in great. I told him that I wasn't trying to make my rig into an 11-second truck, just a very well dialed-in daily driver with optimum shift points and good throttle response. I got every bit of that.

OP
OP
C

Cbark2305

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@08HoeCD thats another problem. Wife doesn’t see a need for it at all. My other option would be to get the autocal and do it all undercover. Then if I even add intake and exhaust it can be redone easily

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I didn't want to spend the money and was already trying to slip the tune in under wifey's radar. LOL

I'm fine not having the device----since I got the in-person tune, I'm very confident that Justin dialed it in great. I told him that I wasn't trying to make my rig into an 11-second truck, just a very well dialed-in daily driver with optimum shift points and good throttle response. I got every bit of that.

So how does it work if you decide you want to update /change something?

OP
OP
C

Cbark2305

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think with the autocal you just plug it in and redo the scans email it to black bear and the readjust it. I’m not 100% sure tho

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't see a time/need to change anything, as I'll never add a blower or turbo or change gears or anything. If I did, I'd probably buy the AutoCal device outright along with having BBP send me an updated tune. As I understand it, the alternative is to pay a deposit for the AutoCal device, use it to install the new tune, then return it to BBP and get your deposit back. Lifetime tunes for free.