Black bear Tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a 91 octane tune but i now have a 93 tune, When i set up my appointment for a retune i`m pretty sure justin or jenna would have told me that it didn`t exist.

Just to make sure i`m not losing my mind i googled it and loads of results came up for the 93 option.

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/poll-blackbear-tune-87-vs-93.37375/page-2

Here's my write up at post #78 in my build thread for the in-person tune with Justin.

Running the 93 Octane tune on the NBS and the only grade fuel I use in it.

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/fosscores-2006-tahoe-build-thread.65729/page-8

I'll have to ask them again but I don't see anything in any of those posts that state (from Blackbear themselves) that they offer a tune made exclusively for 93 octane. There would have to be 3 options then- 87-89 octane, 91 + octane (which is one of the tunes they sent me for loading with my Autocal) and a 93 octane. Myself, I don't even have access to 93 octane here. Our Premium grade is 91 or 92 octane, mostly 91 at 95% of the stations. All I saw them state is that 93 octane would yield the best results. I'm running a blower and Whipple states to use 91 minimum and if available use 92-94. Justin told me to use minimum 91. So then @JennaBear please set the record straight- does BB offer a tune exclusively for 93 octane as some members here have stated or only a tune that is for 91+ as I've been led to believe? I don't see why they would offer a tune that works for a grade of fuel that might not be available.

Justin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll have to ask them again but I don't see anything in any of those posts that state (from Blackbear themselves) that they offer a tune made exclusively for 93 octane. There would have to be 3 options then- 87-89 octane, 91 + octane (which is one of the tunes they sent me for loading with my Autocal) and a 93 octane. Myself, I don't even have access to 93 octane here. Our Premium grade is 91 or 92 octane, mostly 91 at 95% of the stations. All I saw them state is that 93 octane would yield the best results. I'm running a blower and Whipple states to use 91 minimum and if available use 92-94. Justin told me to use minimum 91. So then @JennaBear please set the record straight- does BB offer a tune exclusively for 93 octane as some members here have stated or only a tune that is for 91+ as I've been led to believe? I don't see why they would offer a tune that works for a grade of fuel that might not be available.
A tune for 91+ will work better on 93 than 91, but still acceptable on 91 octane. There is no downside to increasing octane compared to what it is tuned for.

The only time we may dial a tune back is if it is written for boost in Southern California, Arizona or Nevada, as those areas have exceptionally poor quality fuel. Our SS loses over 50hp potential running 91 octane CA gas compared to 92-93 octane.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A tune for 91+ will work better on 93 than 91, but still acceptable on 91 octane. There is no downside to increasing octane compared to what it is tuned for.

The only time we may dial a tune back is if it is written for boost in Southern California, Arizona or Nevada, as those areas have exceptionally poor quality fuel. Our SS loses over 50hp potential running 91 octane CA gas compared to 92-93 octane.
Then you're saying your highest-performance tune is 91+ and not specifically a 93 tune correct?

Justin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then you're saying your highest-performance tune is 91+ and not specifically a 93 tune correct?

The 91+Octane tune that we provide for N/A purposes would be ideal on 93 octane but acceptable on 91 octane. Timing differences are insignificant on most GM N/A engines between 91 and 93 octane.

CamReynolds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im late on this thread but am thinking about a tune. it looks like it will cost me 330$.I have two big questions though; does the mpg increase and will it screw with my engine negatively? i dont want to run into engine problems down the road because i have an aftermarket tune.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MPG will remain the same or will slightly improve if your driving style remains the same. But many enjoy the added performance so much that they dip into the throttle more often.

No negative impact to the vehicle's mechanicals.

Countryboy07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im late on this thread but am thinking about a tune. it looks like it will cost me 330$.I have two big questions though; does the mpg increase and will it screw with my engine negatively? i dont want to run into engine problems down the road because i have an aftermarket tune.

I saw a slight increase in MPG on the insterstate during our last vacation. My experience, there are also no negative effects on the engine. Our Yukon with almost 230,000 miles on it runs so much smoother now that we have the tune. The added power is great!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mbr1287

Latest posts