Bilstine 5100s with rc lower spacer and wheel spacers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ta07hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so I did what everyone always says is a bad idea because I don't think it is. I had just the lower rc leveling kit but it wasn't enough. i figured getting the 3.5" lift is a waist since I could use new shocks and struts anyway. Rc lower spacer gave me just shy of 2" of lift. I put the 5100's on the 3rd clip since I was afraid that on the 4th clip it may be a little to much lift and the diff drop I'd need could cause the cv to hit the lower spacer/bolt. Now it sits a tad over 1 1/3 inch higher even tho it says it only adds 1.18" on the 3rd setting. Fender night up front is now 39 1/3. I can always swap the lower out for a 2.5" upper down the road and add more of a diff drop. For now I plan to use some washers to drop the diff a little till I figure out how much I have to work with before the cv will be to close to the strut bolt for my liking. i have 1/2-3/4 space before the uppers hit the stops. Over the next week I will be doing rc upper control arms, new lower control arms, acdelco inner and outters and I'm sure all of them will go years before I see any play. ill be adding a 1.5 or 2" spacer to the rear along with new shocks. Shocks struts control arms are/were all still oe with 167k on em.

I wanted 20x10 or 20x12 with 305/55 or 33x12.5 I'm still struggling with making up my mind so i put on 2" spacers with my stock wheels and almost bald 275/60r20 Goodyear rs-a. I did this to see how it looks and how it goes clearance wise. They rubbed with the lower strut level so I did a half as NorCal mod. Pulled the bumper supports and hammered in some on the metal on the cab side. I'll be doing the proper trimming if I need to depending on what I end up running size wise. I also trimmed the front air dam. I pulled the running boards to and it's a night and day difference in how tall it looks without them. As far as I know it still has stock wheel bearings in it to so I'm curious how long it will be till they growl or I feel play. I'm kinda leaning towards just getting a set of 275/60 fallen at3w since I can get them for 165 each. I need tires bad and this way I don't have to rush and settle on wheel/tore combo I might not be real happy with. And I can use these as winter wheels since The north east winters are ruff on nice wheels.

Feel free to ask questions or for pics. I spent a lot of hrs at work looking for info pics or anything on a setup like I'm running with spacers and 5100 along with 2" wheel spacers on leveled trucks. All I found was people saying its bad bla bla bla, but in all honesty I'm impressed with how well it came out. Ride feels about the same, but I'm sure after I do the the control arms and align it it will ride better than when I got it. I think everyone saying its a bad idea/will destroy front end parts and ride like shot is just repeating someone else's inaccurate guess on what might happen.

The pics of the suspension with bilstines are my 2007 Tahoe, the truck with all stock is my dads 2008 1500 with just a rc lower strut spacers. The angles arnt much worse with the extra lift from the struts.

I had to size down the pics to get them to upload

Bone stock with the same 275/60r20 the front fender height was 36" then 37.9" and now it's 39.3"
image.png image.png image.png image.png image.png

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
Those angles don't actually look bad I'm surprised. Most trucks aren't safe above 2.5 but now I've seen two that are safe at 3". I would still do new UCAs and some rear coil spacers.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That looks good man. Exactly what i wantmine to look like but i gotta keep the running boards.... wife and small kids..

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right now i only have rc lower but im going to put 2.5 ccm up top, ditch the rc and get the bilstiens and put them on second setting so that should put me at what your at now... and ill see what angle look like....after alignment... plus i want wheel spacers but not that big, was gonna do 1" maybe 1.5 spacers and see what rubs or not. Yours are 2" right? You totally ditched the bumper brace or hacked it up? My truck only has 55k so ill wait on uca's but if angles look bad ill get them. Also did you put washers in for the diff drop or youre going to? Pics of ur 1/2 ass norcal mod... thanks jeff

OP
OP
T

ta07hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those angles don't actually look bad I'm surprised. Most trucks aren't safe above 2.5 but now I've seen two that are safe at 3". I would still do new UCAs and some rear coil spacers.

Yea I was surprised they are as good as they are, and yea rear spacers are on the way. I hate the squatted look. my post was long but I said I'm doing rough country uppers, new lower arms and ball joints, inner and outter tie rods, 1.5" spacer in the rear with new shocks. I'm really tempted to put them to the 4th clip and get the extra .6 of an inch, but I'm already 3.25" over stock so I'll keep it at this height for now.

OP
OP
T

ta07hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right now i only have rc lower but im going to put 2.5 ccm up top, ditch the rc and get the bilstiens and put them on second setting so that should put me at what your at now... and ill see what angle look like....after alignment... plus i want wheel spacers but not that big, was gonna do 1" maybe 1.5 spacers and see what rubs or not. Yours are 2" right? You totally ditched the bumper brace or hacked it up? My truck only has 55k so ill wait on uca's but if angles look bad ill get them. Also did you put washers in for the diff drop or youre going to? Pics of ur 1/2 ass norcal mod... thanks jeff

I got the 2" spacers off rough country's scratched and dented eBay store for 39.99 a pair. Stock +31 offset with a 2" spacer = -19 so I figured it's the best way to see where I'll be with -19 to -44 depending if I do 20x10 or 20x12

it was faster to take them off than it would of been to cut them. I just zip tied them for now.

I got 167k on mine and the lower ball joints and one inner and outter tie rods have play. I wish mine was low miles, I spent more on front end parts than a 7" lift costs lol. And I do everything myself and get most parts at cost.
Rough country uppers 200, stock lowers 370, deco inner and outters 160, 5100 front struts 212, rear shocks 150, rear shock extension 50, rear coil spacers 55.

Didn't do anything for the diff drop yet. I'll address that this weekend, or at least by next.

I just hit it in a little, maybe gave a 1/4-1/2" more clearance. I'm going to do it the correct way over the next week or so. I'll also probably put the front bumper support back in and trim it once I get the tires on
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

OP
OP
T

ta07hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still waiting for my rear spacers. All oem stuff except for the rough country uppers. They look nice, I'll be taking good pics before and after

image.jpeg image.jpeg

OP
OP
T

ta07hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put in the 1.5" spacers and shock extensions. Now it sits at 39.5 up front and 39.75-40 in the rear. I'll re-measure after I drive it around tomorrow. I don't know why the front is sitting higher than before, but it didn't change even after lifting the back.
image.jpeg image.png image.png image.png image.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt