Bilstein Shocks 4600 vs 5100

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SBK RACER

Reaction score
I have had Bilstein 4600 shocks on my other SUV with great satisfaction. When it came time for shocks on my 2006 Yukon SLT, I figure I would upgrade to the Bilstein 5100 series.

Initially, I noticed that the shocks were a lot softer... But after 16,000 miles the Yukon bounces several times after I exit my driveway. Did I get bad shocks? Or are the more expensive 5100 series shock just junk?

I do have a bit larger wheels, 275/60R20 which are 33.0x10.8R20. They are a bit heavier but not extremely so.

The Bilstein 4600 on my other SUV have at least 40.000 miles... They still feel firm. You hit a pothole and you feel it, but it does not bounce and bounce after it. I also have 4" larger tires on it.

I am thinking of replacing the Bilstein 5100 with Bilstein 4600... Unless you guys can recommend me a decent shock with a firm ride quality.

102_2422_zpse9d1edad.jpg

102_2418_zps3fec51fb.jpg

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have both on different vehicles.

First off there is a difference between them. As to one being "better" than the other ... well I wouldn't say that's the case.

5100's are digressively valved. "stiffer" initially and "softer" when they are worked hard, like off road. This helps to control a taller vehicle with a higher COG. They are designed for lifted applications. I have these on my lifted Jeep. This vehicle certainly rides stiffer than the denali. Some of that is simply due to stiffer springs.

4600's are linear. Softer on the road. These are really your DD style shock from Bilstein. I have these on my NBS.

What kind of shape is your jounce stops in? Are your Tbars cranked? This can make a difference in the ride than you are incorrectly attributing to the shocks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SBK RACER

SBK RACER

Reaction score
The control arm stops seem fine. The torsion bars are cranked just a little, the Yukon still sits about 2" higher on the rear.

Just backing out of the driveway, the car still bounces once I am on the flat street... The bouncing to me feels like the shocks are worn out, in just 16,000 miles. Now that I am paying attention, it does the same if I hit a bump on the road doing 50-60 mph. Car bounces a couple times after a bump on the road...

My understanding was that Digressive valving is the opposite of Progressive valving. Meaning the shocks would be softer under irregular terrain at speed. Like off roading. It just does not seem stiff enough to control the spring rates of the Yukon and the shocks let the spring's oscillation continue to bounce.

If they were adjustable, I would think tightening the compression and rebound valving would help. But I imagine fully adjustable performance shocks are out of my price range for a family touring SUV.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The control arm stops seem fine. The torsion bars are cranked just a little, the Yukon still sits about 2" higher on the rear.

That should be ok then.

My understanding was that Digressive valving is the opposite of Progressive valving. Meaning the shocks would be softer under irregular terrain at speed. Like off roading. It just does not seem stiff enough to control the spring rates of the Yukon and the shocks let the spring's oscillation continue to bounce.

Yeah, that is how I was trying to describe it. It should be more controlled or "stiffer" under normal operating situations.

If its bouncing around as much as you say then I'd suspect they are worn out. Bilstein should cover it under warranty if they have failed.

The rancho 9000xl's are reasonable, and adjustable

https://www.amazon.com/Rancho-RS999265-RS9000XL-Series-Shock/dp/B0018YIJ0U

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 5100`s and they`re pretty stiff. I went to them from blown out autoride shocks so anything would be stiffer than that. I think i have about 10-15k on them and they ride the same as the day they i put them on.

OP
OP
SBK RACER

SBK RACER

Reaction score
I have 5100`s and they`re pretty stiff. I went to them from blown out autoride shocks so anything would be stiffer than that. I think i have about 10-15k on them and they ride the same as the day they i put them on.

You should try the 4600... You have to put your body weight to compress them... (My 200 lbs anyway)

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Interesting to know , I'll be purchasing new shocks soon.

Those nissan wheels look great on there. My buddy has the same ones on his lowered sierra denali

OP
OP
SBK RACER

SBK RACER

Reaction score
Thanks, I have been toying with the idea of having them Polished...

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Thanks, I have been toying with the idea of having them Polished...
That would look clean. They do have chrome clad covers too i believe.
Did you ever get those center caps done with the gmc logo ?

Randall Thornton

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have had Bilstein 4600 shocks on my other SUV with great satisfaction. When it came time for shocks on my 2006 Yukon SLT, I figure I would upgrade to the Bilstein 5100 series.

Initially, I noticed that the shocks were a lot softer... But after 16,000 miles the Yukon bounces several times after I exit my driveway. Did I get bad shocks? Or are the more expensive 5100 series shock just junk?

I do have a bit larger wheels, 275/60R20 which are 33.0x10.8R20. They are a bit heavier but not extremely so.

The Bilstein 4600 on my other SUV have at least 40.000 miles... They still feel firm. You hit a pothole and you feel it, but it does not bounce and bounce after it. I also have 4" larger tires on it.

I am thinking of replacing the Bilstein 5100 with Bilstein 4600... Unless you guys can recommend me a decent shock with a firm ride quality.

View attachment 174838

View attachment 174839
I am looking to get 5100s for my 05 Yukon. The Z55 autoride gave out @130k.
It's confusing trying to find the right parts to convert it to coil and gas shocks too many Bilstein models and not enough information on what oem systems they can replace.
What did you use?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9