Bilstein shock swap - installation questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4WDTRK

sleeps in garage
Reaction score
I'm considering swapping over to Bilstein shocks and getting rid of my Rancho 9000's. I'm all over the place with the Ranchos and just don't care for the ride.

I haven't replaced shocks myself on this truck and I'm wondering the level of difficulty to do it myself? I know the rears are usually easy, how about the fronts? I'd just be working with a basic floor jack and jack stands. If it's labor intensive or a real PITA I'd probably just take it to a shop. I just don't have the time to bang knuckles all day.

Finally, if anyone could give me the correct Bilstein part numbers for front and rear that would be great. I just have a key lift/level w/ Z71 rear springs (no spacers).

Thanks!

richs1

Reaction score
I'm considering swapping over to Bilstein shocks and getting rid of my Rancho 9000's. I'm all over the place with the Ranchos and just don't care for the ride.

I haven't replaced shocks myself on this truck and I'm wondering the level of difficulty to do it myself? I know the rears are usually easy, how about the fronts? I'd just be working with a basic floor jack and jack stands. If it's labor intensive or a real PITA I'd probably just take it to a shop. I just don't have the time to bang knuckles all day.

Finally, if anyone could give me the correct Bilstein part numbers for front and rear that would be great. I just have a key lift/level w/ Z71 rear springs (no spacers).

Thanks!
Very easy. I did it with basic tools in about 30 minutes. Shock numbers are:
Front 24-186643
Rear 24- 187237

I believe those are correct. They are for 0-2.5 inches of lift which should be fine for what you have. I bought mine from 4 wheel parts online, they helped me get the correct ones, give them a call.

OP
OP
4WDTRK

4WDTRK

sleeps in garage
Reaction score
Very easy. I did it with basic tools in about 30 minutes. Shock numbers are:
Front 24-186643
Rear 24- 187237

I believe those are correct. They are for 0-2.5 inches of lift which should be fine for what you have. I bought mine from 4 wheel parts online, they helped me get the correct ones, give them a call.

@richs1 this helps me out...thanks much! :)

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a air gun if you have one makes short work of them bolts. back ones are kinda large too.

the top nut up on the front shocks i used a vise grip to hold the rod under the mount, then took the nut off. as it loosens up you'll need to re adjust and re clamp the vise grip.

OP
OP
4WDTRK

4WDTRK

sleeps in garage
Reaction score
a air gun if you have one makes short work of them bolts. back ones are kinda large too.

the top nut up on the front shocks i used a vise grip to hold the rod under the mount, then took the nut off. as it loosens up you'll need to re adjust and re clamp the vise grip.

@Scottydoggs thanks for the tips...these all help a lot...I'm going to try to do this next month. Really hoping the ride improves over the Ranchos!

ladorn45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Super easy. For the rear i used ratchet straps to compress the shock helped when bolting it to the rear

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Super easy. For the rear i used ratchet straps to compress the shock helped when bolting it to the rear

i used a large screw driver to pry the bottom of the shock up then popped the bolt in.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i tossed in a set of air bags after the fact, firmed up the body roll.

001.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu