Bilstein 5100 vs level spacers for 2018 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blarose777

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
First off, I have a tahoe with the max trailer package that includes the auto air leveling system on the rear therefore only looking to raise the front and not mess with the rear air system.

Whats the best option between the following:

spacers at the control arm similar to the RC 2 inch, http://www.roughcountry.com/gm-leveling-lift-kit-1307.html

or

spacers above the struts similar to the CCM 2.5, http://www.ccmoffroad.com/2007-2018-chevy-tahoe-gmc-yukon-2-5-leveling-lift-kit/

or

lift with the Bilstein 5100 Series Ride Height Adjustable Shock, https://www.suspensionconnection.com/f4-be5-e376-h0-tahoe-bilstein.html

Main concerns are leveling the front to the rear and ride quality. I have 2 inch RC on 14 Tahoe and ride is far from smooth. Also read that Bilstein might have similar ride when used at the highest level.

Thanks
Brad

yesac

Reaction score
I’d like to know too, it would be really nice to be able to adjust it.

DWTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it comes down to what you want to spend. New shocks will ride nicer and you don't have spacers. However, they are more money. I went with the spacers under the front struts because it was easy for me to install myself and I couldn't find anybody that said there was any difference whether the spacers went on top or on bottom of the strut.

DWSmoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m running the 2” RC front only, also have max tow. No difference in ride to me vs. stock.

OP
OP
B

blarose777

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
went through with the installation of the bilstein 5100 adjustment leveling shocks. Set to the highest setting which is 1.7 inches of lift in the front. Levels out perfectly and the suspension is still great if not better than stock.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
went through with the installation of the bilstein 5100 adjustment leveling shocks. Set to the highest setting which is 1.7 inches of lift in the front. Levels out perfectly and the suspension is still great if not better than stock.

Good to know, thanks for the info.

Bardog

Reaction score
Blarose777,

Glad to know that you went with the Bilsteins in the front to level out the front with the rear.

I have two questions, because I think I'd like to do the same:

1. The link you posted for the Bilsteins is for up-to-2014 GM models. Is your Tahoe a pre-2015 model? If so, this is the wrong forum.

2. Do you have pics to show the level you achieved?

Thanks and keep it up!

TheEngineer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

On the Front struts: When you put your lower spring seat on the new Bilstein did you use the 'lower spring mount adapter' that comes with the Bilstein or did you put the lower spring seat directly on the adjustable circlip?

Also, did you use the shoulder washer from your old AC Delco shock on the top shaft circlip of the Bilstein?

Thanks in advance,
Max

5100topclipWACDelcowasher2.jpg 5100vsMag_notes2.png

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also have installed Bil 5100 but I have done front and rear, I do not have max tow.
I actually saw an improvement on the dampening, and ride quality. But my truck was also 55k miles at time of install, so the stock shock were not new.
yep mine were set at 1.7 max in the front resulting in a perfect level, actually rear might be slightly higher but undetectable to the eye

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17