Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DrunkElvis

Reaction score
Any issues in using the adjustems of the shocks to level the rear of my Tahoe for that perfect level stance?

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
You mean using front shocks to level it up with rear height? If so no go for it.

OP
OP
DrunkElvis

DrunkElvis

Reaction score
Any issues doing that in place of a leveling kit? My tire guy suggested I just go with the adjustable Bilstein shocks all the way around and use that to level the Tahoe out as needed. I thought I read on here where someone said not to do that. My only concern is shocks sagging as they get older.

Last edited:

NGAneer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That will happen with all shocks, probably less with a quality brand like Bilstein. The leveling effect has nothing to do with that though. They level based on where the spring is located on the strut body versus a spacer that just puts more distance between the bottom/top mounting surfaces and the strut.

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
If you set the spring on higher lift perches on shocks it adds to the preload of the spring. I doubt in a vehicle lifetime you will notice any sag with preloading it. The downside of preload is stiffer ride where as setting them at stock perch and lower strut spacer to level will retain better ride.

OP
OP
DrunkElvis

DrunkElvis

Reaction score
We'll see how it rides. I've ordered a set of (4) 5100's to replace my factory shocks and we'll set the front up to level out the truck. I also ordered a set of (4) BFGoodrich All Terrain KO2's that go on Friday.

OP
OP
DrunkElvis

DrunkElvis

Reaction score
After leveling out your Tahoe and going to a larger tire, did any of you have to adjust your headlights? My front is sitting a decent bit higher and I wasn't sure if the headlights would need to be adjusted.

NGAneer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. Any time you change the stance of a vehicle it will change the landing point of the light on the road and thus you have to adjust the headlights.