Big emergency - not running.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

machojared

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Howdy all...

Well, as the title suggests, she doesn't start.
The saga began at the beach, where it ran effortlessly. I then took it to a boat wash to clean it up, and silly me sprayed the high pressure hose at the grille (one slow-ish pass only). I started it up, and it idled wildly from 400-900 rpm until she warmed back up. On the drive home, though, it ran rough at about 1000-1600 rpm (the car kept jerking around). Nursed it a mile home and parked it.

I then needed to actually go somewhere, and when I went to start it, it wouldn't. Specifically, it tried to crank over, and I was rewarded with more shaking. I'm afraid that I may have hydrolocked something and left myself with a 5.7L paperweight.

¡Ayudame, por favor!

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
if it warmed up and ran fine for a short period of time i would eliminate hydro-locking for now. if you spray it at then radiator it should not done any harm. start by inspecting ground point on inside on both fenders and radiators support. check for the grounds being intact on the thermostat housing. and lastly inspect the connector and surrounding are of the crankshaft sensor mounted on the bottom left side crank pulley.

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
x2 , If you Hydrolock a motor you will know instantly , For one a regular engine cannot compress water so you would have thrown a rod before it started. when you state that it "tries" to crank what exactly is it doing? Are you getting spark and fuel? or does it sound like its just turning over.

Quick things to check, Engine Oil ( Water will make Oil Milky in color .)
Air Filter
Battery Terminals Make sure water isn't shorting a path out
Fuses

OP
OP
M

machojared

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm gonna give myself a little time to distance myself before I try anything. However, Sunlit, your crankshaft sensor theory is sound to me since I've been throwing a CEL for that. I'll check everything else, though.

Donnie, I believe I'm getting spark and fuel. It will not turn over, though, and it places a huge load on the battery the longer I try to get it to turn over (dome lights dim, door chime goes crazy).

I had just driven about 40 miles round trip to and from North Padre (75 mph both ways), so it was pretty warm when I washed it. That's why it warmed up so quickly. If I had truly hydrolocked it, I would have needed a tow home, right?

---------- Post added at 11:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 PM ----------

*UPDATE* Just started.

Thinking at night sometimes gives you brilliant ideas. I went outside to look, and I saw nothing amiss. Nothing was leaking at all from the undercarriage. Underhood was clean. So I decided to start it, and it went.

It just needed to dry out, I guess. But I'm gonna keep an eye on my crankshaft sensor (and camshaft, since it was running rough) and take it into my mechanic on Monday.

Thanks for y'all's help!

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my father hydrolocked his brand new 88 suzuki samurai trying to ford one of those low tide inlets then we got to watch it sink as the tide came in

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
I'm gonna give myself a little time to distance myself before I try anything. However, Sunlit, your crankshaft sensor theory is sound to me since I've been throwing a CEL for that. I'll check everything else, though.

Donnie, I believe I'm getting spark and fuel. It will not turn over, though, and it places a huge load on the battery the longer I try to get it to turn over (dome lights dim, door chime goes crazy).

I had just driven about 40 miles round trip to and from North Padre (75 mph both ways), so it was pretty warm when I washed it. That's why it warmed up so quickly. If I had truly hydrolocked it, I would have needed a tow home, right?

---------- Post added at 11:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 PM ----------

*UPDATE* Just started.

Thinking at night sometimes gives you brilliant ideas. I went outside to look, and I saw nothing amiss. Nothing was leaking at all from the undercarriage. Underhood was clean. So I decided to start it, and it went.

It just needed to dry out, I guess. But I'm gonna keep an eye on my crankshaft sensor (and camshaft, since it was running rough) and take it into my mechanic on Monday.

Thanks for y'all's help!

yeah if you just hit the grill i would guess that the wiring and connector might be in poor condition before you watered the truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman