Big 3 Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mcopco

Reaction score
I'm installing a sound system in my hybrid and am planning on doing the big 3 upgrade. I'm wondering how all this will work with the hybrid battery. How does the hybrid battery charge ? I don't want to damage the hybrid system and am having a hard time finding much information on how it all works. Anyone done the big 3? Any help or direction on where to find writing diagrams would be appreciated.

Thanks

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes basically yer just replacing yer main charging system wires with zero guage wiring
im unfamiliar with a hybrid
but on a gas tahoe yer basically replacing all the grounds with heavvier wiring theres like 3 and i positive lead off yer alternator with heavier wire its a pretty simple upgrade but with a hybrid
from the pictures ive been looken up i dont even see an alternator

OP
OP
M

Mcopco

Reaction score
Yeah I discovered no alternator. I'm thinking I could get a stock alternator and second battery and those systems could be totally separate. But that's for the future.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah that would be ideal but is it possible to mount an alternator because youd need to change belts and find a place to mount yer car batter from the pics ive seen under the hoods of those highbreads thats mite be tricky

OP
OP
M

Mcopco

Reaction score
Oops doubled the one but that's how it looks. I gotta assume that I could get a alternator for a 6L tahoe and get the bracket and belts. Plenty of room for sure. I'm definately not tackling that project until spring though. No garage here.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
youd probably have to take that pully off and get the mounting bracket off a gas tahoe and install it in the same place and install the alternator on the bracket then hopefully the serpentine belt from a gas tahoe would work then and then if you cant figure out how to mount a car battery under the hood you can prolly install in the cab somewheres
yeah itd definatly be a chore but hey the upside is you wouldnt need to spend alotta money on a high current alternator you could just go with the stock 140 amp cuz itd just be running yer system or what ever you planned on running

OP
OP
M

Mcopco

Reaction score
I'm just hoping the current electrical can handle my 900/5 amp. Until I can figure out the rest. I've asked in the hybrid section but no responses yet. I'm thinking I should be okay. Only concern is damaging the hybrid system. If I kill the battery I'll live and learn for the cost of the battery of I break the hybrid system I'll cry. And the wife will be none to pleased.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just outta curiousity what made you decide to buy one of these hybrids i heard there pretty spendy compared to its all gas counterpart and the MPG isnt that much better

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu