Better radio ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Samuraj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking to update my stock 2010 PPV radio , all my speakers work and I do have steering wheel controls .

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the upgrade, to the OEM Nav Radio. I went through the hassle of figuring it out. It is pretty easy to do, but it gets a little expensive... but. I like the result.

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plug and play ?

Yes, except for one wire that needs to be spliced into the vehicle's speed sensor wire. I did a posting on that, one (lengthy) about the nav radio install, and one about the amp. (If you go with the OEM Nav Radio, it needs to be unlocked. You don't need an amp per se, but things just work better with one. The amp install has sort of the write up I believe.)

Ron

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Yes, except for one wire that needs to be spliced into the vehicle's speed sensor wire. I did a posting on that, one (lengthy) about the nav radio install, and one about the amp. (If you go with the OEM Nav Radio, it needs to be unlocked. You don't need an amp per se, but things just work better with one. The amp install has sort of the write up I believe.)

Ron

Not to be too nosey but how much would you say you have invested in this whole setup?

Radio + programming + harness + amp + ???

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to be too nosey but how much would you say you have invested in this whole setup?

Radio + programming + harness + amp + ???

It adds up real quick. I bought the Nav Radio for $600 (on ebay), it was a pretty new one. (they go somewhere between $400 - $900). Programming the radio was $150 (I tried dealerships, they don't really want to do it and are more expensive + no guarantees it works, but you still owe the money.) The conversion harness was $75, The GPS antenna (for under the dash) was $26 and the amp with harness was $249. I bought the HDD version of the Nav Radio, it has the Navigation on a hard drive (I am pretty sure it is some sort of SSD (one of these card ones), and the size is 30Gb, The HDD radios tend to be more expensive, and they can "record" music on to the drive too. (I put an SSD with all my music underneath the console tray). The 'regular' Nav Radios run of a CDROM, in a car constantly using a CD will probably ruin the CD and/or drive because of dust etc.

Ron

kbuskill

Reaction score
It adds up real quick. I bought the Nav Radio for $600 (on ebay), it was a pretty new one. (they go somewhere between $400 - $900). Programming the radio was $150 (I tried dealerships, they don't really want to do it and are more expensive + no guarantees it works, but you still owe the money.) The conversion harness was $75, The GPS antenna (for under the dash) was $26 and the amp with harness was $249. I bought the HDD version of the Nav Radio, it has the Navigation on a hard drive (I am pretty sure it is some sort of SSD (one of these card ones), and the size is 30Gb, The HDD radios tend to be more expensive, and they can "record" music on to the drive too. (I put an SSD with all my music underneath the console tray). The 'regular' Nav Radios run of a CDROM, in a car constantly using a CD will probably ruin the CD and/or drive because of dust etc.

Ron
So roughly $1100

kbuskill

Reaction score
My personal preference is the Rosen GM1210 as I have mentioned in other threads.

It comes with different harnesses depending on whether your truck has the Bose system or not.

In your case without the Bose system the head unit will put out 50W X 4 channels which would avoid the need for an amp.

For $700 it is far superior to the factory navigation system in my opinion although I will admit I have never used the newer style Navi as my truck is an 08.

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My personal preference is the Rosen GM1210 as I have mentioned in other threads.

It comes with different harnesses depending on whether your truck has the Bose system or not.

In your case without the Bose system the head unit will put out 50W X 4 channels which would avoid the need for an amp.

For $700 it is far superior to the factory navigation system in my opinion although I will admit I have never used the newer style Navi as my truck is an 08.

Hi Ken, yes I, I looked around and there are better and less expensive options, but I wanted it to be factory, (and at the time was messing with the rear audio, which I gave up on.) Also planning on the back up camera, which should just work with my setup. (The radio already does 'everything' video when I back up. There's just no signal... because there's no camera yet)

Ron

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Icyagent