Best way to eliminate Active Fuel Management?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clean07Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the best way to eliminate the factory GM active fuel management on my '07 Suburban? By "best" I mean most cost effective. I'm not looking to spend some ridiculous amount of cash on a tuner that does much more than give you the ability to turn the AFM off. I'm not looking for any tunability or performance gains. The truck is totally stock, motor wise. I was thinking about the Range AFM eliminator for $200 since its strictly meant for deactivating the factory AFM. Is this my best option? Maybe take it to the dealer and ask if they can reflash the truck and eliminate it for me? If I can afford that second option! :yaoface2:

Thanks in advance for any input!

Keanen55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a Hypertech tuner off Craigslist for $200. A handheld is probably going to be your best bet. You can get a used one pretty reasonable. It gives you the option to re-tune the truck if you chose to do so, cut off the AFM, or both. Just make sure that it's not married to another vehicles VIN and your good to go.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get yourself a Blackbear Tune and have Justin tune it out for you. By far the best tune for our SUVs. :waytogo:

CHOO CHOO

BackPagePhil
Reaction score
Whats the purpose of turning off active fuel management? Is it that beneficial to turn it off?

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whats the purpose of turning off active fuel management? Is it that beneficial to turn it off?

1. I found AFM to be virtually useless and did no good for getting better MPG as claimed by GM
2. There have been claims that AFM contributes to oil usage. In my case my burb's oil usage all but stopped immediately after my tune and I know longer have an issue with it. Whether the two are related is debatable but that was my experience :shrug:

As far as performance I'm not sure it makes any difference but having AFM certainly has no benefit IMO

MudnRox

Rebel without a clue
Reaction score
Unless you know a tech at the dealership, the dealer won't do it. I've tried that route.

OP
OP
C

Clean07Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. I found AFM to be virtually useless and did no good for getting better MPG as claimed by GM
2. There have been claims that AFM contributes to oil usage. In my case my burb's oil usage all but stopped immediately after my tune and I know longer have an issue with it. Whether the two are related is debatable but that was my experience :shrug:

As far as performance I'm not sure it makes any difference but having AFM certainly has no benefit IMO

Oil consumption is the reason I'd like to disable the AFM on my Burb. I've heard others state, now including 07Burb, that their oil consumption either completely stopped or was dramatically reduced after disabling the AFM. That's my goal...

---------- Post added at 09:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 AM ----------

Unless you know a tech at the dealership, the dealer won't do it. I've tried that route.

Well, I guess that option is ruled out! BTW, PM sent.

---------- Post added at 09:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 AM ----------

I'm already in a discussion about this with another member, but it can't hurt to post it here, too. Can the Range unit be transferred from vehicle to vehicle after its been used, or does it "marry" itself to the original vehicle it was used on?

OP
OP
C

Clean07Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get yourself a Blackbear Tune and have Justin tune it out for you. By far the best tune for our SUVs. :waytogo:

What are the advantages to having a BB tune, aside from disabling the AFM? My Burb is totally stock. Does the factory tuning leave power on the table that a BB tune can recover, yet still enable long term longevity? I plan on keeping this truck for a LONG time and am not really interested in making performance enhancements. I've got another vehicle for that. ;)

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are the advantages to having a BB tune, aside from disabling the AFM? My Burb is totally stock. Does the factory tuning leave power on the table that a BB tune can recover, yet still enable long term longevity? I plan on keeping this truck for a LONG time and am not really interested in making performance enhancements. I've got another vehicle for that. ;)

There are many advantages to a BB Tune any many of those have been laid out through numerous threads on this site. Justin can custom make a tune for you specifically based on your vehicle and your needs and desires. If it's better MPG your after you can gain considerable amounts of fuel efficiency. If it's better performance to wake up the yacht he can do that. Do some searching around the forum and even send JennaBear a PM and get yourself acquainted. You won't be disappointed :D