Best transmission oil cooler???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Tru-Cool 40k is hands down the one that most people on multiple forums have decided is the best. You can find all kinds of threads and write-ups on it.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You want one large enough to keep the transmission in the temperature range you desire while under the load you figure in the climate you figure. That might mean a really big one or one not so big.

That Dorman one uses fittings, the other has hose barbs.

This one is a little smaller, made for 12,000 pounds GVW.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-13101

Reaction score
When I installed a larger one on my 2001 Yukon about 10 years ago I went with a "stacked plate" style. They are more efficient than a "tube & fin" style in the same size.

I forgot what brand I used, but I bought it at Napa. The size was something like 7x9 or 9x11, can't really remember off the top of my head. It was only a little larger in size than the factory one and cost around $70

2001 Yukon SLT
2011 Yukon Denali

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put the flexalite on mine around aug/sept of last year, it does it's job with no problems, but there is plenty of room for a bigger one, I also added a B&M transmission pan, the combo has dropped my temps anywhere from 10-20 deg. depending on how hard im pushing it, you may get better results I tend to have a heavy foot. the dorman one you linked above is just a oem replacement. I may upgrade the flexalite to a HD sized one depending on the temps that I see this summer, my goal is to be around 160deg, mine usually floats around 180 now.

iddqd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed www.trucool.com/products/tru-cool-max

Model LPD4739. For U shaped hoses I used a power steering hose from early 4Runner. The temp dropped at least 20 degrees.

This set up works perfect on a freeway or in the city WHEN AC IS ON. When AC is off, the main eFan is not running and temperature still goes to 200 degrees (We do have lots of hills in SF and terrible start-10ft-stop areas). I bought a 8" fan and will install it later.

JAZKT0X.jpg
s370lXM.jpg
vGPfNma.jpg

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good install. I do believe that it will benefit from having its own fan for low speed driving and after the motor is shut off for a time to more quickly lower the temp.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed www.trucool.com/products/tru-cool-max

Model LPD4739. For U shaped hoses I used a power steering hose from early 4Runner. The temp dropped at least 20 degrees.

This set up works perfect on a freeway or in the city WHEN AC IS ON. When AC is off, the main eFan is not running and temperature still goes to 200 degrees (We do have lots of hills in SF and terrible start-10ft-stop areas). I bought a 8" fan and will install it later.

JAZKT0X.jpg
s370lXM.jpg
vGPfNma.jpg
Have you checked the fluid levels with the trans up to temp and engine running? I have the same cooler with a 3k stall converter and even in 100deg weather my trans temps hover around 150deg with the a.c. on or off. Did you bypass the radiator?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ya im wondering the same thing I put this on my truck the other day, took it out and beat on it pretty hard in 90deg weather and it only hit 178, but..... I also have the B&M deep trans pan installed also. before that I had a smaller flex a lite installed with that I was still hitting 203 or more depending on how hard I was driving it. so it switched to the true cool made a decent difference.

iddqd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also have a B&M deep trans pan installed, and I check trans fluid weekly.

It does not happen quickly though. I need to drive up hill in a stop&go traffic for roughly 30 mins for the temperature to reach 200 degrees. It does not go higher though. If the traffic starts moving, the temperature drops to 180.

I verified the #s with a scanner and it shows the same things.

I think the key here is "STOP&GO". Since I don't move more than several feet at a time, there's no airflow through the radiators, hence the temperature is rising. When eFans kick in even at lower speed or the traffic starts moving, the air flow is enough to cool everything down.

Ah, when

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DamThatRiver24