Best Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

metelhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty unusual for a suspension component to be worn out at only 22k. It's more than likely his tires. It's been well documented here and elsewhere that gm's duelers are pretty sad. I had brand new ones on my 2006 when I bought it 2 years ago and hands down they were the worst tires I've ever had. Even brand new the ride was terrible and they made noise around the slightest of corners. The slight vibration is probably due to one of four or even possibly all 4 being out of balance. Michelins are the way to go. I'm on my second set. Scored the LTX all terrains I had for the last two years as take offs and paid almost nothing for them and they were best all terrain I've had. When I swapped on my NNBS Denalis 20s a couple weeks ago I picked up some used LTX M/S2 tires simply because they were cheap. Even on used Michelins the ride with my 20s is fantastic. I will also be picking up a new set of defenders when we are ready for snow again. I have quite a few clients who's cars I detail often that have defenders also, all have said they are happy with the defenders. The tires the OP showed are the ones we are talking about.

True..but pretty unusual to have premature worn tires too.....I agree with you balance, as well as possible alignment issues, as for the actual tires themselves, I have a lot miles on duelers and michelins alike, never had such issues with either and outside of the michelins wearing longer- have seen no difference in performance between them...but to each their own..tires like shoes are personal imo.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True..but pretty unusual to have premature worn tires too.....I agree with you balance, as well as possible alignment issues, as for the actual tires themselves, I have a lot miles on duelers and michelins alike, never had such issues with either and outside of the michelins wearing longer- have seen no difference in performance between them...but to each their own..tires like shoes are personal imo.
Agreed. Tires are like shoes. What works for one sometimes may not work for another. 22k would be a huge milestone for tires where I live. Lol. Unfortunately I live in the mountains with lots of winding corners and grades that I drive often when I travel down the mountain to see family and run my business. As well as a daily basis, working out of my truck and back and forth across town all day. Our roads just eat through tires like you wouldn't believe. I think the most I've ever gotten out of a set of tires was my michelin LTX A/T2s that I just replaced. I got somewhere in the ball park of 20k out of them which is pretty phenomenal for big bear. I usually only get 10-12 if I'm lucky out of a set of tires. So for the OP to need tires after 22k doesn't surprise me at all. But I also don't know anything about his roads and region. So maybe that's unusual for him or maybe it's not. I just know that the factory Bridgestone duelers I had on my truck when I bought it were absolute junk and I'd never buy them again. The michelins I just replaced by far outperformed any tire I've previously had so the obvious choice for me was to go with another set of michelins. I will also add that ive read that alot of people end up having dry rotted michelins before they wear out of tread. That's a bummer. But mine were fantastic and I never had that problem nor have any of my clients with Michelins had that problem either.

MikeFarrang

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Currently I have the Continentals on 20 inch wheels.
Looking for opinions on the best tire out there for my 2016 GMC Yukon XL Denali. 22k miles on the tires now. Starting to ride bad and I am seeing little ripples in the tires. Slight vibration too. I want to buy the best ones and cost is not an issue. Looking for a smooth ride. What do you guys think?

I second the Michellins I paid about $850 at Sam's a few weeks ago. Much better ride

Z15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2015 Sierra Denali came with 20-inch on/off road Goodyears and it had a vibration from day 1. Dealer* balanced (road force) tires 2x and GY dealer balanced 1x, each time it took different weights (more than 1oz) and it still had a shake. Installed Michelin LTX MS2 back in July 2015 and from that point on, no more shaking. Also, the Michelin's took very little weight to balance, every one < 1oz. 30,000 miles later, no complains.

*Dealer tire tech was a idiot, found out he left the factory weights on the wheels and just added more weights to try to balance.

Ont240

Reaction score
Running Goodyear SRA 0n 20's. Much quieter than the Firestones that were on it when purchased used.
Definately get an alignment as soon as the new tires are on. Wheel balance on a newer machine, rather than one that has been used for years and never re-calibrated.
I'd vote Michelin XLT for an all year tire.

Our winter conditions north of the border have me running designated snows. Firestone winter force on 17's the appropriate size. Less rotational mass= better braking and acceleration.
If you are shooting for better fuel mileage go 18" 265/70 and a smoother ride to boot. Again less rotational mass. There is a reasonable choice of LRR (low rolling resistance)tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aray1288