Best sound deadener ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Denali2k8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.raamaudio.com/

Did this in my pickup. Went from sounding like a tin can (roof was the worst) to a high-end luxury vehicle. Doors thud nice and solid. Cabin noise was reduced and the music was much better.

I did the BXT II I believe, and then a layer of the foam.

00'BlueSteel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve had 2 layers of Audio Technix 80mil in my Rodeo for 5 years now and never had any issues, and it is everywhere. I have also used Sky High deadener which has held up just as well and I have another box of it laying in the garage for the suburban whenever I get motivated to do that.

Audio Technix is now CT Sounds and I don’t believe they sell deadener any more, here is the link to Sky High
http://skyhighcaraudio.com/install-accessories/sound-dampening/

Most butyl rubber and aluminum deadener is the same, some companies have stickier compounds when it comes to the rubber and some offer thicker aluminum backing. It does the same thing, and the thicker it is the more it dampens the sounds.

I always do the same thing, buy are reputable brand that’s on sale. I like to do 2 layers of 60 or 80mil, so I can fade it out thinner by the edges of the panels and thicker in the middle to get a better fit once the interior goes back in. I prep the surfaces in the vehicle really well, pack all body channels and open holes full of poly fill(the stuff in pillows), then lay deadener over everything and only cut out the holes I need to reinstall the interior. This stops sounds from echoing in the body channels and through the cabin, it closes up lots of holes that allow sound to pass through but don’t need to be there and stops most vibration sounds in the body and cabin. 2 or 3 layers on the floor is enough to stop most average road and tire noise. I have MTs on my 91 Rodeo and they sound like street tires from inside with the windows rolled up. First time I did all this I thought it was over kill but when I was done I had a 91 Rodeo that started out sounds like you where riding in a Jeep wrangle and now sounds like you’re riding in a Mercedes or BMW.

OP
OP
05Single

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
I’ve had 2 layers of Audio Technix 80mil in my Rodeo for 5 years now and never had any issues, and it is everywhere. I have also used Sky High deadener which has held up just as well and I have another box of it laying in the garage for the suburban whenever I get motivated to do that.

Audio Technix is now CT Sounds and I don’t believe they sell deadener any more, here is the link to Sky High
http://skyhighcaraudio.com/install-accessories/sound-dampening/

Most butyl rubber and aluminum deadener is the same, some companies have stickier compounds when it comes to the rubber and some offer thicker aluminum backing. It does the same thing, and the thicker it is the more it dampens the sounds.

I always do the same thing, buy are reputable brand that’s on sale. I like to do 2 layers of 60 or 80mil, so I can fade it out thinner by the edges of the panels and thicker in the middle to get a better fit once the interior goes back in. I prep the surfaces in the vehicle really well, pack all body channels and open holes full of poly fill(the stuff in pillows), then lay deadener over everything and only cut out the holes I need to reinstall the interior. This stops sounds from echoing in the body channels and through the cabin, it closes up lots of holes that allow sound to pass through but don’t need to be there and stops most vibration sounds in the body and cabin. 2 or 3 layers on the floor is enough to stop most average road and tire noise. I have MTs on my 91 Rodeo and they sound like street tires from inside with the windows rolled up. First time I did all this I thought it was over kill but when I was done I had a 91 Rodeo that started out sounds like you where riding in a Jeep wrangle and now sounds like you’re riding in a Mercedes or BMW.
Don't need to go that far. But still curious on how much you spent on the rodeo by itself.

ladorn45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used that frostking in my car and seems to do a nice job

00'BlueSteel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't need to go that far. But still curious on how much you spent on the rodeo by itself.

Do you mean total for sound deadening? Or total cost of the entire spl build? haha

If I recall correctly I got 2 massive rolls of audio technix 60mil for $65 during a blow out sale and the poly fill is like $10 for a gaint bag that’s enough to do 5 or 6 vehicles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonawhie61989