Best sound deadener ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
So I'm about to replace my door speakers and would like to slap some sound deadener on them while I'm at it.

Last time I bought anything like this I used dynamat and I believe it was $150 for a 2 door kit back in 03, which was ridiculous back then for just foil and tar paper. But with new companies out there means now there's competition and much better prices.

I'm looking for best bang for the buck. Share your pros and cons on certain companies.
I heard now you can do 4 doors with dynamat for $50.

Also are speaker baffles worth it?

Any direction or links are appreciated. Thanks yall:Rock on:WBvanDynamat-640x480.jpg
h696B050381-fp.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
05Single

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Bump, looking for other options.
Although that frost king has got me curious. Never heard of anyone using that's for this lol.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bump, looking for other options.
Although that frost king has got me curious. Never heard of anyone using that's for this lol.

Google "frost king duct insulation car". It's on a bunch of other forums as well. It's also been talked about on TYF before.

OP
OP
05Single

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Google "frost king duct insulation car". It's on a bunch of other forums as well. It's also been talked about on TYF before.
Thanks , guess ive been living under a heavy rock cause this is the first time ive heard anyone using duct insulation. I honestly thought you were joking lol, I just picked up a roll last night:beer:20171202_032904.jpg

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I honestly thought you were joking lol

:lol2:

If you've even installed any other kind of sound deadner, try installing that stuff. Gonna be very similar. Now there's obviously differen stuff out there that will be thicker and stick better or come in jugs that you poor on, but really all you're trying to do is stop the vibration of a panel which makes a sound inside your vehicle. This will do it in the same way.

Then those FAST rings will help direct the sound of the speakers into your ride and not throughout the door panel.

I wouldn't steer you wrong!

Once you're done, give a review of it here so others can see it works.

Agent WD-40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure what Frost King is made of but I've used some of these "budget" sound deadeners in the past. They were made for sealing ducts/roofing kind of like this. It was a tar based product with foil on top - looked exactly like Dynamat. I think it was called Peel & Seal. It worked fairly well, but needed about 2 layers to equal Dyamat performance. Still was cheaper but made install 2x as hard.

The bigger problem with it was down the road. It smelled terrible for 4 months or so. Eventually the smell went away unless it got really hot (Arizona hot). The other problem when it got really hot was the backer/adhesive melted and ran. It would pool in the bottom of the doors and drip out of holes in the car. After this I will only use real, butyl based, sound deadeners (Dynamat, Second Skin, etc).

The real stuff never gave me any of these issues and didn't smell. Worth a few extra bucks IMO.

Last edited:

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure what Frost King is made of but I've used some of these "budget" sound deadeners in the past. They were made for sealing ducts/roofing kind of like this. It was a tar based product with foil on top - looked exactly like Dynamat. I think it was called Peen & Seal. It worked fairly well, but needed about 2 layers to equal Dyamat performance. Still was cheaper but made install 2x as hard.

The bigger problem with it was down the road. It smelled terrible for 4 months or so. Eventually the smell went away unless it got really hot (Arizona hot). The other problem when it got really hot was the backer/adhesive melted and ran. It would pool in the bottom of the doors and drip out of holes in the car. After this I will only use real, butyl based, sound deadeners (Dynamat, Second Skin, etc).

The real stuff never gave me any of these issues and didn't smell. Worth a few extra bucks IMO.

Lol. That's why you don't do the tar based stuff. There's are some ways to cut corners, but with that stuff I wouldn't either.

OP
OP
05Single

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Damn well it doesn't get that hot here in Alaska so it should be fine lol. But excellent info for when i move to Vegas next year....dont use the cheap stuff that'll melt inside your doors at 100+ degrees ✔

I'm using it first on the wife car in her trunk lid, that would be a nightmare if it melted into the trunk

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never tried that stuff. I usually use butyl fatmat. Or just tried the noico 80mil on Amazon. Worked pretty good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdheffel01