Best hid kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pohlease

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just installed a kit from XenonDepot and love it. There were no instructions but it mounted well. I am not using the relay and they seem to be working fine. Not sure if I need the rely or not. Need to search the forums

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vanquish Auto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
202 Wallace Ave N Unit 12 Lehigh Acres FL 33971
I just installed a kit from XenonDepot and love it. There were no instructions but it mounted well. I am not using the relay and they seem to be working fine. Not sure if I need the rely or not. Need to search the forums

Are you getting any dashboard bulb out messages? Make sure the truck is running and turn the lights on, you might notice some flickering a bulb that keeps turning off. Any help needed let me know!

burbplayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another vote for TheRetrofitSource. Get the full kit with the relay harness and you'll be golden
i dont think anyone should get the trs kit because i saw a post from another member here that got the kit from them and it was not good at all. I will always recommend vanquishauto, their hid kits does not need relays, its all plug and play no issues at all. vanquishauto.com for me are the only company now dealing with the best hids system and leds.

-------Here is the post about the GARBAGE TRS HIDS-------- (read at the end of the post to see the true about their lights)

Installed the Morimoto Elite H11 HID system (3Five 35W ballasts) from The Retrofit Source with optional XB 35
4300K bulbs and Canbus H11 harness (update: the driver side bulb occasionally does not fire with the Canbus harness. I believe a few other on here have reported this as well and TRS recommends the relay harness, I may be switching...). Total cost was $170.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/hid-systems/morimoto-elite-hid-system-h11.html#.U1icku29LCQ

As others have stated the driver side bulb is super east to get to and has a ton of room to work with for mounting the ballast. So I did this side first :).

Used the included mounting bracket and some heavy duty exterior double sided tape for the ballast and the same double sided tape and black zip ties for the Canbus.

Tape I used: (way better than the white stuff)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00004Z4BV/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1398316664&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40

I used a 1" spade drill bit in the headlight cap for the cable pass through. This might not be the ideal tool but it actually made a pretty clean hole. Just keep the bit mowing fast...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0001LQYJ4/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1398316872&sr=1-2&pi=SX200_QL40

Now for the pictures:

Driver side ballast mount. There is a hole right there already with pretty easy access behind it to be able to hold the included nut and lock washer. This mounting solution is not fancy but is super easy and sturdy with the double sided tape. The included hardware worked perfectly with existing holes. So no drilling your brand new truck.

a4eve2u6.jpg

You can see the Canbus in this shot zip tied behind the fender wall. Out of sight and sturdy with the zip tie and mounting tape.

esujuqy8.jpg

Here is a shot of the wiring. I utilized an existing cable mount below the light that is holding the hood release (I think) to keep the cables looking neat.

y5yve6ym.jpg

On to the passenger side... All you need is a flat screwdriver to remove the hose clamp that holds the MAF and air intake tube to the air box. Once that is loose there is a cable management thing attached holding the MAF cable to the airbox. You will need to pull that out as well. Then you just pull up on the air box and 3 rubber grommets that hold it into place will pop loose. From there I rotated it slowly up and out being careful not to pull on any of the hoses in the area. Tight fit... But not too bad.

Once that is out of the way you will be able to see a space below the washer fluid reservoir that is a perfect fit for the ballast.

edagyqyp.jpg

asa3a3ap.jpg

The cables are long enough to run under the airbox back to the light from here. Here is a shot of the Canbus which was mounted again with a zip tie and mounting tape under the bracket that holds the air box.

daqeqasa.jpg

age2apam.jpg

There is also a funky plastic sheet between the airbox and light that has two pop pins (not sure if that is a technical term... But I'm sure you know what I mean). That had to be removed to get the cap off the headlight. It already has holes in it you can run the cables through.

u5ygubuz.jpg

Once the airbox is back in you can't see anything that has been installed underneath.

Now for the light output shots:

Driver side HID passenger side still stock:
upaqe7y4.jpg

Output with the left HID and Right stock: (unfortunately forgot to take any output shots before taking the driver side light out)
u6ubehu5.jpg

Output of just the left HID:
dasupa4y.jpg

Output of just the right stock light. seriously!!
bate6yna.jpg

Both HIDs in now...

Down my street. Much better!!
2yhy7e3a.jpg

Various cutoff shots. My house is yellow so it makes the light look a bit yellow but it is pure white and matches the LEDs perfectly! In person the color difference is very noticeable and the HIDs look great!

abu2amug.jpg

a2ygureg.jpg

nahe5y2a.jpg

ugy4upu7.jpg

uverybu4.jpg

Overall the install was easier than most HID kits I have done just because there is so much more room under the good of these trucks. The light output seems great to me.

I do need to get on some level ground and make sure I don't need to adjust the lights. It didn't seem like the cutoff moved but it is a little hard to tell and I don't want to be blinding anyone.

On the past I have used DDM kits with no complaints (they still work on 3 cars) but the quality and light output on this Kit is definitely better. For this truck it is worth the money!

Let me know if you have any questions.

Update 8/22/2015:

Since I started this thread. I am sad to say that I retract me recommendation of TRS. I have an intermittent ballast and like others they want me to take it out of the car and cut it up to get a replacement. That is not too convenient for a car that carries my family. It needs headlights.

Customer service is rude and they don't seem to care at all that this post sent many customers their way. I would look elsewhere for a quality HID kit. TRS charges a premium price and can't back it up with customer service.

burbplayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Hello, I have vanquishauto hid and led lights in my yukon and their kits dont need relays and its all error free (But no all companies have the same good quality as them) so i think if you dont have VA (vanquishauto) hids, you may have to add the relay harness to make them keep working since seems to be an old hid system people still sell making you use the relay because without it the lights will not work! Thats why i bought mines from vanquish auto and im super happy, perfect light output and no glare.

Pohlease

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Are you getting any dashboard bulb out messages? Make sure the truck is running and turn the lights on, you might notice some flickering a bulb that keeps turning off. Any help needed let me know!

Thanks for the reply even on someone else's kit. There is no flickering and it's worked great driving down the road. A kit like yours (the vanquish auto kit) that doesn't require a relay certainly is a plus. I would have purchased yours but the xenondepot kit comes with a 4600 bulb for a more factory look than your 5000 bulb.

Vanquish Auto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply even on someone else's kit. There is no flickering and it's worked great driving down the road. A kit like yours (the vanquish auto kit) that doesn't require a relay certainly is a plus. I would have purchased yours but the xenondepot kit comes with a 4600 bulb for a more factory look than your 5000 bulb.

We have all colors in stock. we have from stock color to nay other color you want. Thanks

pro510

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have some questions about the VA lights.

On the site when I select the low beam package the description says 'H11 true HID and LED system'. Which part is LED?
If the relay is not needed, why do you sell it? Does the 55w kit require it?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Vanquish Auto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have some questions about the VA lights.

On the site when I select the low beam package the description says 'H11 true HID and LED system'. Which part is LED?
If the relay is not needed, why do you sell it? Does the 55w kit require it?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
I can help you with that, you can choose any kit that we offer for your car ( you dont need the relay ) relay is there for people that want to use it ( but it is not necessary with our kits)
Our 35w kit or 55w kit does not need the relay.
You can just buy the hid kit and choose the color you want in the color chart.

Thanks let me know if you have any other questions i can help you with.

Regards:

inmypassatlife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont think anyone should get the trs kit because i saw a post from another member here that got the kit from them and it was not good at all. I will always recommend vanquishauto, their hid kits does not need relays, its all plug and play no issues at all. vanquishauto.com for me are the only company now dealing with the best hids system and leds.

-------Here is the post about the GARBAGE TRS HIDS-------- (read at the end of the post to see the true about their lights)
this was a known issue and they issued a national recall, in which cutting the ballast was a part of their replacement requirements

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt