Best air compressor for truck work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As title states. I've decided to quit working so hard physically and instead invest in something that can let me work and get things done smarter/faster with much less effort. I'm sick and tired of wasting precious time/energy brute forcing things and injuring myself in the process most of the time.

I did some Google researching, and basically what I'm looking for is the highest CFM at 90PSI that is good for home use. Maybe 5-6 CFM at 90PSI? For instance, automotive work (good for raising up my truck in the air + being used for impact air wrenching), house DIY work, and the like. Any opinions, suggestions, and experiences you guys can offer?

Thanks in advance guys!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As title states. I've decided to quit working so hard physically and instead invest in something that can let me work and get things done smarter/faster with much less effort. I'm sick and tired of wasting precious time/energy brute forcing things and injuring myself in the process most of the time.

I did some Google researching, and basically what I'm looking for is the highest CFM at 90PSI that is good for home use. Maybe 5-6 CFM at 90PSI? For instance, automotive work (good for raising up my truck in the air + being used for impact air wrenching), house DIY work, and the like. Any opinions, suggestions, and experiences you guys can offer?

Thanks in advance guys!

6 CFM at 90PSI is the minimum to run air tools and recommend you aim for twice that. Otherwise, you'll be stopping a lot to wait for the compressor to build pressure back up. All the extra run time will kill the compressor that much sooner.

OP
OP
J

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6 CFM at 90PSI is the minimum to run air tools and recommend you aim for twice that. Otherwise, you'll be stopping a lot to wait for the compressor to build pressure back up. All the extra run time will kill the compressor that much sooner.

Appreciate the response. I looked at 12CFM compressors and they are cost prohibitive. I'd definitely spring for it if I was constantly in the garage, but I'm just a fly-by-night mechanic doing work on my own truck.

What's a good compromise? Maybe 6-7CFM at 90SPI?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the response. I looked at 12CFM compressors and they are cost prohibitive. I'd definitely spring for it if I was constantly in the garage, but I'm just a fly-by-night mechanic doing work on my own truck.

What's a good compromise? Maybe 6-7CFM at 90SPI?

I think that would work for you. For comparison, my Craftsman 30-gallon was 8.6CFM@40PSI and 6.4CFM@90PSI. It ran an impact just fine. I'd get one or two wheels off before the impact started to feel weak and the compressor would kick on. I'd say that's reasonable and not overworking. Any time I needed to use the side- or die-grinder, it ran almost constantly.

OP
OP
J

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got this one in my garage: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_211720_211720.

I have this one when I am doing stuff in the driveway:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_122381_122381

You can't go wrong with IR.

What is your budget and any other requirements we need to take into consideration?

Hey Mark! How are ya? Hope you're doing well bud.

Budget? I'd like to spend no more than $300 if I can. I'd rather put that toward the brakes.

There was some talk in another thread, maybe I can wing it just using a cordless impact wrench.
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/help-a-newbie-air-tools-compressor.90683/#post-1081652

This all came about due to what should have been a simple procedure: an oil change. This was the first oil change I did on the truck, and I did it in my driveway. The oil filter was tightened SO TIGHT it was practically sealed on and almost impossible to get off. I got it off successfully after about 1.5 hours of fighting with it. The brakes are next up that need to get done, and I said to myself "if the oil filter was that hard to get off, imagine what the brakes are going to be like".

Basically, I'll need to get the caliper bracket bolts off my truck easily. I had this exact trouble with old 2013 Impala LTZ. Getting the caliper bracket bolts off took half a day in the hot summer sun and tons of elbow grease. Not looking to repeat that experience at all, especially with the truck.

sk1dm4rk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm doing well. Thanks.

In my honest opinion, air tools will not work for you on those bracket bolts as it is a tight spot and they have thread locker on them from the factory. I have an aircat 1150 impact wrench and I never even attempted it.

Put a boxed-end wrench on them and use one of these to hit the wrench to loosen the bolts.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bully-Tools-69-in-Steel-Tamping-and-Digging-Bar-92539/205348003

/me shrugs...its how I do it when changing discs and such and it works well.

BTW, I am, by no means, saying do not get airtools. They are handy, but there are limitations.

Get one of these as well: http://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-drive-extendable-ratchet-62311.html I love mine! I've beat the crap out of it and it still works like the day I bought it.

Good luck!

OP
OP
J

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm doing well. Thanks.

In my honest opinion, air tools will not work for you on those bracket bolts as it is a tight spot and they have thread locker on them from the factory. I have an aircat 1150 impact wrench and I never even attempted it.

As always, great points. Thanks Mark.

I took your advice and simply bought some better hand tools. A 1/2" flex ratchet which is long enough to be used without a cheater bar, which is what I'll use to break the bolts loose. I watched some YouTube videos on changing the brakes and almost every single one, the mechanic was using a flex head ratchet. If I remember correctly, on the Impala, my issue is that I might have been using a 3/8" instead of 1/2" ratchet, which obviously would have less torque, and I DEFINITELY didn't use a flex head ratchet, as I never had one.

Hopefully this will go easy for me. The fact that the since it's a truck and has so much more space in the wheel well area combined with the flex ratchet should be enough for me to break it by hand.

I will be doing all the brakes on Saturday. I'll let you know how it goes!

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
For compressors I'd recommend an oiled unit. I have a husky 30 gal oilless unit. It's noisy as all hell. Also if you want something to produce higher cfms, your going to need hookup for at least 220v. 110 house will barely get you 6 cfms. At least from what I researched so far

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2