Best aftermarket Head Unit that looks stock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Added to the modlist.

With one unit everything works? Hopefully the call buttons still work.

Looks 100% factory which i like.

Only thing missing would be carplay. Navigation should come from the phone. Difficult to beat google maps.

If my memory serves me, I think I remember reading that the BT steering wheel controls only work if you are using the factory BT and not with the Rosen BT.... but again I don't have factory BT so I cannot confirm.

I know in my truck the button on the wheel that looks like a phone will mute the stereo if you press it, although if your phone is connected to the BT it will automatically mute the stereo and start ringing and pop up the name and number on the screen for you to answer or decline.

Wish I could be of more help.

I did see your post in the other thread about updating the Navi maps.... I hated the factory Navi... lol

OP
OP
the highlander
Reaction score
In reality i will never use the favtory navi. I was looking for a factory style solution that had a2dp.

Thank you very much for the suggestion.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Wow at the price tag.

When you consider the cost of an aftermarket HU and then add in all the other adapters that are required just to keep the factory options functional.... it's really not that expensive.... and then you have to stuff all those adapter modules in and hide them somewhere... lol

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If my memory serves me, I think I remember reading that the BT steering wheel controls only work if you are using the factory BT and not with the Rosen BT.... but again I don't have factory BT so I cannot confirm.

I know in my truck the button on the wheel that looks like a phone will mute the stereo if you press it, although if your phone is connected to the BT it will automatically mute the stereo and start ringing and pop up the name and number on the screen for you to answer or decline.

Wish I could be of more help.

I did see your post in the other thread about updating the Navi maps.... I hated the factory Navi... lol

I believe I can also do a google search when I press this button in Android Auto

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i swapped out the factory nav for an android head unit. use it for waze, spotify, and torque pro apps - I hotspot from my phone when i hop in and its all just there ready to go. . It came with harnesses for 08-11 (mine is a 2012) so i had to get the harnesses for my year and re wire it all. wasnt to bad but there wasnt really a simple wiring diagram available. Rosen or not, make sure the unit has atleast 2gb ram, octocore processor... the unit i bought did not at first and i would in no way of recommended it to anyone. terribly slow, took forever to turn on, a single app would lag the whole thing down - i was looking on XDA-developers forum to see if there was an option to root and run a different OS. I came across an upgraded chip and figured i would give it a shot before going back to the factory NAV. It made the unit so much more responsive, it going into a sleep mode when key it turned off, i can run whatever apps i want, stream movies etc.
truck had/has factory bluetooth (phone, no music), onstar, bose, nav, rear entertainment. I had my phone hooked up to the factory nav, but somewhere in the wiring instead of muting aftermarket unit it would shut it off lol so i need to look into it. onstar i dont use, bose works great and actually have some eq capability, nav is replaced, rear entertainment i think i may have something hooked up wrong as well the screen is always mirroring what is on the head unit.
again most of this is attributed to my specific year does not share the same wiring as previous years.

OP
OP
the highlander
Reaction score
Very interesting. I used to be an XDA active at one point .... but i spent a lot more time playing with different firmware versions than using the phone. Ended up with apple. I wish i had a system with apple car play. It makes no sense to use any other navigation system other than google maps. Our system is so complicated that changing it to other than the rosen gm1210 makes no sense. Too many modules and retrofit nightmares.

Even the Rosen doesn't really offer anything groundbreaking. Navigation is still internal to the radio and not the phone. It should be via internet on the phone to get the best results. Google gives you open/closing times, phone and many more features that make any internal radio navigation system obsolete. That being said, i can connect through the usb and keep using the phone... bluetooth/hands free is all you need. For long trips you are still wired for battery life purposes so it ends up being the same. Spotify/Pandora negate ANY physical media management so, any of the extra features are really not ground breaking.

However. I have always loved the parrot RNB6 concept specially by bringing vehicle CAN data into the screen, but parrot discontinued the project (apparently they were paid off to not release the product???) and that is that.

I guess the only thing missing in this truck is the Auto Up windows and the HIDs. Supercharge it later and it's done.

OP
OP
the highlander
Reaction score
The main thing on those for me is to have android 7.1.1. Not sure of those can be upgraded. I believe they should if android on phones is of any relation.

Make sure it had the best processor for smoothness.

I really want something with google maps.

Ideally. I should be able to send the address from my phone to the car’s screen.

I have not seen one with lte gsm connectivity which would be perfect too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjvieira

Latest posts