???Battery Recomendations??? Best Battery???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brian Wilson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an exide battery in my old buick GN. Way too small for that car but it was dead for 3 years before I bought the car. I charged it up and it lasted until I broke the car in half 4 years later. It had to be 200ca too small and maybe 8 or 9 years old total. Never had any problems. But it was a stock GN electric wise. Just a built th350 and a bigger turbo. Loved that car. Hate myself for destroying it.

Brian Wilson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now I'm wondering why the hell I bought a yukon instead of anther GN. I don't tow anything, I don't have children, I never even had more than 1 passenger. I have a jeep zj on 33x 12.5 that just LOVES to show off in the snow. I think I need to rethink my life now. This is a real buzz kill

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it seems my diehard platinum has some issues. I had it tested today after some weird behavior. It's now showing 660cca on top posts and 70cca on side posts instead of the rated 880. Not sure what happened but going to replace it soon. Truck starts fine as long as top ground is hooked up, but 70cca on the side does nothing.. It's almost 7 years old so I guess I can't complain.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

ge0rgin0

Reaction score
Do Side posts or Top Posts make any difference? I think my battery took a dump...75 series Duralast Gold New when i got my 05 Tahoe in Jan. 2016
When i get off work gonna troubleshoot it, hoping its just battery...im leaning towards an Interstate

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now I'm wondering why the hell I bought a yukon instead of anther GN.

Because you're getting old and another GN will probably kill you. I loved my 5 GNs and Turbo Regals but when the opportunity came for another, I bought me a Yukon too. No regrets really. Don't have to have a supply of steering column parts in my garage anymore from all the jerks that tried to steal them. I like sitting up high and being the big dog in crowded intersections too!

Last edited:

dukbludvl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Weighing in here - Optima Red Top seem to be garbage now based on my experience. My first RedTop (got in maybe 2004?) was great - ran for 7 years. Have had terrible luck with 3-4 of them since. One went about 2.5 years and crapped out, so it was replaced by AAP under warranty. The replacement went 1.5 years and died, and they wouldn't replace it because the warranty term (3 years) had expired -- it was tied back to the original battery purchase. I gave it one more shot and put one in my 2003 Yukon and now this one has died after only 9 months. So, between my 2000 Yukon, 2003 Yukon and 2012 Tahoe, I've had a lot of issues with them.

I'm trying to figure out what to get now. Do you think AGM is better than wet lead acid? This is for my 2003 Yukon. I'm inclined to go BCI/lead acid/wet now instead of AGM, unless someone can talk me out of it. Thinking I'll get a Napa Legend Premium for 169.99. They are supposedly made by Deka/East Penn Manufacturing.

Any thoughts on what I should go with?

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Weighing in here - Optima Red Top seem to be garbage now based on my experience. My first RedTop (got in maybe 2004?) was great - ran for 7 years. Have had terrible luck with 3-4 of them since. One went about 2.5 years and crapped out, so it was replaced by AAP under warranty. The replacement went 1.5 years and died, and they wouldn't replace it because the warranty term (3 years) had expired -- it was tied back to the original battery purchase. I gave it one more shot and put one in my 2003 Yukon and now this one has died after only 9 months. So, between my 2000 Yukon, 2003 Yukon and 2012 Tahoe, I've had a lot of issues with them.

I'm trying to figure out what to get now. Do you think AGM is better than wet lead acid? This is for my 2003 Yukon. I'm inclined to go BCI/lead acid/wet now instead of AGM, unless someone can talk me out of it. Thinking I'll get a Napa Legend Premium for 169.99. They are supposedly made by Deka/East Penn Manufacturing.

Any thoughts on what I should go with?
You can get an AGM from Wally World for about the same price. They’re made by Johnson.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins