???Battery Recomendations??? Best Battery???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FarFromStock

Reaction score
I am going to be replacing my battery pretty soon and wanted to see what you guys have to say about the best batteries to use for our Tahoe's?

I currently have a Federal in her right now. I do have a fair amount of accessories lighting, compressor etc. in my Tahoe at this point and am planning on transferring my system to her soon. So I do have a bit of a deep cycle want. Although I have been fine with what I have to date.

If I am going to buy a new battery I just thought it would be nice to get some input from the forum before purchase.

I have heard that the optima batteries are garbage. Can any one speak about their experiences either positive or negative about them.

One of my friends was highly recommending I go with an interstate battery.

Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated

post up

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Optima before being purchased by Johnson Controls are good. I still have a couple of them. Afterwards are garbage. They last no longer than a "cheap" lead-acid battery. I had several and got rid of them after they overheated, had shorted plates, or just wouldn't hold a charge. Stay away.

Currently I am running an Odyssey AGP in my wife's vehicle (Tahoe too new to need battery yet). Seems very good with good specs. And I wanted a battery that is reliable, trouble-free, etc...

So it depends if you want lead-acid (water-based) or AGP?

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Optima before being purchased by Johnson Controls are good. I still have a couple of them. Afterwards are garbage. They last no longer than a "cheap" lead-acid battery. I had several and got rid of them after they overheated, had shorted plates, or just wouldn't hold a charge. Stay away.

Currently I am running an Odyssey AGP in my wife's vehicle (Tahoe too new to need battery yet). Seems very good with good specs. And I wanted a battery that is reliable, trouble-free, etc...

So it depends if you want lead-acid (water-based) or AGP?
I agree with everything you said. Had horrible luck with optima red and yellow batteries. I'm now running a Diehard Platinum which is a rebadged Odessy battery. Lots of cranking power, no issues with deep cycling and it's got a crazy long warranty.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always had great service from the Super Start batteries from O'Reily. They're made by East Penn/Deka. Interstate in general is a safe bet. DieHard Platinum is a rebadged Odyssey- pricey, but great battery with awesome warranty.

OP
OP
FarFromStock

FarFromStock

Reaction score
thank you all for the replies. I have not heard anyone mention Exide Batteries anyone have nay thoughts on them?

nharkey85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a super start in my s10. It spent 5 months out of the truck and occasionally saw use to power my airbag setup and a few low amp sessions on a charger. Still just as good as it was when the truck went down in april

I have one of the standard batteries carried by advance auto in my Tahoe, but no accessories pulling on it

AppocAlexx

Darth Appocalexx
Reaction score
Looking at new battery as well, does anyone use a bigger battery and what size group are yall running? I feel like my truck could use a little more umph when starting, especially cold starts.

Slckls1

Reaction score
+1 for both optima, and interstate.

I do remember people having issues with the red tops, don't know if that's been remedied or not. I haven't looked into it in about a decade.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at new battery as well, does anyone use a bigger battery and what size group are yall running? I feel like my truck could use a little more umph when starting, especially cold starts.

All group 34

current- Diehard Platinum 880 CCA
past
optima red- 800 cca/ yellow 750 cca..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442