Battery drain (Subs/Amp)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chase Epperson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently installed 2 DB WDX12 2k subs in my Tahoe with a 5000 watt amp. Everything appears to work properly except my battery drains quite a bit when I'm sitting at an idle listening to music. I do not have dual batteries, I have a stock size alternator, and I'm not using a capacitor. What would you guys recommend? I'm sure it's probably something simple but using stuff this powerful is new to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Trickster29

Reaction score
I recently installed 2 DB WDX12 2k subs in my Tahoe with a 5000 watt amp. Everything appears to work properly except my battery drains quite a bit when I'm sitting at an idle listening to music. I do not have dual batteries, I have a stock size alternator, and I'm not using a capacitor. What would you guys recommend? I'm sure it's probably something simple but using stuff this powerful is new to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just because no one's actually replied to you. I'll give you my 2 cents.

I would personally start with upgrading your alternator. If your idling. I would fit it with a overdrive pulley. With that if you havnt already I would do the big 3 mod.

Try like a 300 to 350A. But anything is better then stock.

I have no where near as big as a system as you. I have like a 2000W. I have a 253A alternator. With a Godzilla mod installed (Really just the big 3 but with 0/4 gauge, I had 0000 gauge lying around so I figured why not). I am in the process of adding a OD pulley. Cause my voltage does drop just a bit at idle. I want it to be perfect. Just need a air wrench to remove the stock pulley. And havnt gotten around to it. However I never technically see any serious battery drain. Just a small voltage drop at idle. Which I'm hoping the pulley will get rid of.

Last edited: