battery charger recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking to buy a battery charger, starter, trickle charger.

Any recommendations? Ideally we would have a device that could charge (slow, medium, fast) and would automatically fall to a trickle charger when it is done charging. I would like a charger that is smart and you can forget since shit happens. Plus the trickle charger would keep batteries topped off long term. Would be nice to get something fairly small; saw some bigger units but seems to be mostly air inside (since shop space if valuable, would rather not take it up unnecessarily.)

Would love a 120v car starter as well, though am considering buying a separate battery (and use jumper cables), or get a all in one car starter kit with jumpers connected. (ideally one that we can swap out the battery if it dies over time).

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First I would get a Battery Tender, That will keep your battery in tip top shape and full of charge.
Go and find a plastic battery box and stuff a group 31 in it. strap it to a hand truck and make some good cables for it. You want a good quality jumper end and a direct fit to the battery. Use good crimp/solider connectors. You can also wire up a Battery Tender on it too so it will always be charged.

http://batterytender.com/battery-tender-plus-12v-at-1-25a.html

OP
OP
R

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had seen those. Has anyone else used this brand or others they are happy with?

It seems like you need to use the battery tender appropriate to the specific type of battery you have?

OP
OP
R

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I will pick one up. They seem to have a whole bunch of different kinds, I will read up on their website.

OP
OP
R

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called battery tender, but their units are only trickle chargers. they do not sell chargers. I was hoping for an all in one unit. Perhaps it is better to buy two units?

Still need a good charger though if anyone has good recommendations.

BirchyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a Battery Tender Jr. on my motorcycle and it is great. I have also used it on my cars if I'm going to be away for a while. It's charging my RV battery right now, albeit a little slowly :)

harveje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like the tender should be a standard acc from factory.
LOL

latemate

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought a battery tender Jr from 4wheelonline for my R1 and sometime with my truck and wife's car. Over all its a good product and very handy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bryndan99