Barn door alignment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

montec313

Reaction score
Anyone know how to adjust the barn doors on a 99 Tahoe. I swapped out the passenger barn door off my suburban to my tahoe cause its window was busted out and had some dings in it. Both doors fit good on both vechiles before hand. When i swapped the out, They both sag now. Only thing i can think of is maybe they need new pins and bushings now. Door sticker looks like its in a good position cause when fully closed everything is aligned. Just when you open it it sags and tends to make contact with upper portion of drivers side door.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the door is slightly open, is there any vertical play when you lift the bottom of the door? To me, that would indicate bad bushings. If they go too long without repair, sometimes the hole in the hinge can become elongated.

Are both sections of the hinge welded to the body and door? Since neither sagged before the swap, you may be seeing manufacturing tolerances not matching between the two different vehicle doors.

I'm fighting something similar on my 98 with the liftgate. Honestly, I'd just put the old door back on and get a glass shop to fix the glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the door is slightly open, is there any vertical play when you lift the bottom of the door? To me, that would indicate bad bushings. If they go too long without repair, sometimes the hole in the hinge can become elongated.

Are both sections of the hinge welded to the body and door? Since neither sagged before the swap, you may be seeing manufacturing tolerances not matching between the two different vehicle doors.

I'm fighting something similar on my 98 with the liftgate. Honestly, I'd just put the old door back on and get a glass shop to fix the glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X2, sounds like a plan to me, which before swapping the door, you had no problem,excellent advise.
Good luck.
David g.

cmc76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am not sure if your doors are exactly the same. But on my 04 i seems to get some misalignment out of nowhere.
Drove me batshit crazy for a while. i played with the only adjustment i could find, allot. each hinge bolted to the door with 3 bolts, but there was no more than 3/8" adjustment it seemed. after many attempts, and some literal hanging on the doors ( body shop advised that ) i got it where it closes well, but i have to slam it harder than i would prefer.

Back N Black

Full Access Member
Reaction score
some literal hanging on the doors ( body shop advised that )

Yeah, I used to work at a body shop, hanging on the door to pull it down, or lifting from the bottom to pick it up are common techniques. :hahano: