Balljoint tools

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aknisley

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am replacing the upper and lower ball joints on my 99 2wd. got the upper out with pickle fork. The bottom separated half with pickle fork and bottom half with big hammer.
Now, after searching for ball joint tools, I am wondering what type of set will work. Alldatadiy show GM special tools that are very expensive.
Has anybody used one of the universal sets? I would like to buy a set rather than renting from O'Reilly. Mainly because I am old and only work on the car when I feel like it. Which means keeping for weeks.

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had my best luck hitting the side of the joint with a large hammer while putting a little pressure on it with a pry bar. Deforming the taper fit joint for a second can also let some perpetrating oil get in. Plus it doesn't ruin the threads.

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
The tools from OReilly's work.
As far as purchasing vs. renting, you basically pay for the set when you rent them - meaning, if you don't return them, you've purchased the tool set. If you don't believe me, ask the Oreilly rep. I've thought about doing that in the past, but needed the money more than I needed the tool at the time - return the tool, card is credited the tool price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak

Latest posts