Backup Camera non-OEM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to add a back up camera to my Tahoe soon. I want to keep the OEM stereo (I like the large buttons, and I hate touch screen in a vehicle), so I'll have to add a separate monitor and camera. I've searched this site and not found a whole lot on aftermarket monitors. I'm wondering if anyone has installed systems from www.rearviewsafety.com? I'm considering the following:

Monitor: https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safe...tors/3-5-flip-up-tft-lcd-digital-monitor.html

Camera: https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safe...-camera-with-infra-reds-model-rvs-6380-c.html

Larry

Project Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem I see is that the aftermarket monitor runs off of RCA outputs. I'm not certain, but I believe the factory head unit does not have any RCA outputs. I'm running an aftermarket head unit so I'm not much help but you'll have to look into that for sure. Maybe you could find some sort of converter or adapater to make RCA's work with the factory radio.

mdhawk

Reaction score
I did mine about a year ago, I bought everything separately. OEM camera, converter, wires, and pigtail for the back of my head unit. I must have searched and watched videos on this for weeks before I did it. Seems like the stand alone unit you're looking at should be simple enough. eBay has pigtails with RCA jacks to anything you can think of. One thing that helped me out was doing an image search on your head unit and see if you can find a picture that points out what everything goes to.

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not running this into a factory monitor. I've purchased monitor separately.

I received the system late last week. The one thing I didn't anticipate was that the frame style license plate camera covers any validation stickers placed on the perimeter of the plate. Other frames that people have are notched out for the validation sticker. I will be exchanging this camera for another style. Unfortunately, the other style does not have the ir LEDs built into it, but the camera is good down to 0.1 Lux, which appears to be the best I've seen on the market, so it should be OK.

Larry

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's small enough that it would be able to fit on the dash somewhere.

I'm not the kind of person that cares about things being stylish, or fitting in, or looking good. I care about functionality. Yes, flip up screen sitting on the dash might look "dorky", but if it saves me backing into something on a dark rainy night, it will be worth it.

I will explore other options, such as mounting it on top of the centre console, or even have it loose so I can pull it out when I need it. It should be often that I'd need it, mainly at night, and especially rainy nights.

Larry

MrBalll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you look around some more on here there are some topics where people put a little 3" monitor in that small deep pocket that is to the right of the AC controls and under the vent.

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw that thread. The monitor I've got is slightly larger so there wouldn't be any practical way to retrofit the monitor into that position. I thought of removing the cassette deck. Perhaps some time later, especially if I wish to get a different style of monitor. Right now I'm just getting a set up that works well.

The license plate frame style camera I got covers my validation decals, so I'm having to exchange to camera. The non-frame style doesn't have the illuminating LEDs, but apparently is good down to 0.1 lux so the regular backup lights should provide sufficient light.

Larry