AWD VS 4WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Davidh

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't won't to chime in on someone else's post, but thanks, helped me out a lot. Being a new owner of a 2004 Tahoe with AWD and knowing nothing about that system and wanting to learn more. Thank you! Your info helped a lot. There's not a lot out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most newer 4wd is open differential as well unless you have a positive or locker. AWD uses the brakes for traction control in loss if traction, 4wd does not. On Chevy vehicles, AWD and 4wd are both the same. Both have g80's so they operate the same. And AWD vehicle will apply 60/40 output in a drive train and will spin the wheels the same, 4x4 in the other hand provides max power output to the tire with the most Traction.

Sorry, but this is completely false, especially the part in red. AWD and 4WD are not the same. Take an AWD truck around a sharp corner on dry pavement, and then do the same thing with the 4WD truck with the front axle engaged, then get back to me. There's a reason why it's called "part-time 4wd." An AWD system has a center (third) differential, to allow all four tires to turn at different speeds on dry pavement. 4WD has no such center differential.

Both systems use a traction control system that applies some braking to a wheel that slips.

"how is my AWD works and how its comparable with a nonDenali Yukon/ Chevy Tahoe 4WD system?"

That's what the op wrote, so I showed him how the two systems compare with each other. Easy enough to understand unless he's not mechanically inclined.

It's easy enough to understand, if you actually understand the differences between the two systems.

about20ninj45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but this is completely false, especially the part in red. AWD and 4WD are not the same. Take an AWD truck around a sharp corner on dry pavement, and then do the same thing with the 4WD truck with the front axle engaged, then get back to me. There's a reason why it's called "part-time 4wd." An AWD system has a center (third) differential, to allow all four tires to turn at different speeds on dry pavement. 4WD has no such center differential.

Both systems use a traction control system that applies some braking to a wheel that slips.

It's easy enough to understand, if you actually understand the differences between the two systems.

Unless it's a "true 4x4", it's a marketing term that sells.

Fyi, I know all about crow hop.
This is about what gm calls awd and 4x4 and both have transfer cases don't they?

(nvg, bw4485, bw4481) a awd with a locker is no different than a traditional 4x4 system

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless it's a "true 4x4", it's a marketing term that sells.

Fyi, I know all about crow hop.
This is about what gm calls awd and 4x4 and both have transfer cases don't they?

(nvg, bw4485, bw4481) a awd with a locker is no different than a traditional 4x4 system

Well, yeah, you kinda need a transfer case to power the front axle.

But the AWD system in my Denali has a center/third differential. The 4wd system in my Suburban does not.
My Denali does not have a shiftable or 2-speed transfer case. My Suburban does.

Therefore, they're not the same.

AWD and 4WD are not "marketing terms."
AWD means full-time four-wheel drive.
4WD means part-time/selectable four wheel drive.
Pretty much universally used by all auto manufacturers.

Last edited:

about20ninj45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, yeah, you kinda need a transfer case to power the front axle.

But the AWD system in my Denali has a center/third differential. The 4wd system in my Suburban does not.
My Denali does not have a shiftable or 2-speed transfer case. My Suburban does.

Therefore, they're not the same.

AWD and 4WD are not "marketing terms."
AWD means full-time four-wheel drive.
4WD means part-time/selectable four wheel drive.
Pretty much universally used by all auto manufacturers.
There's is a difference between bthebterms 4x4 and 4wd...
My Denali doesn't have a "third" differential. The front differential can be locked electronically to provide 4x4. 4wd is a loose used term is what I'm stating. And yes, it has been used as a marketing term. I can't post my sources when I'm not on mobile if you'd like.
Point being, aside from the selectable button, with the option to lock the front wheels, the systems behave and act similarly with a locker and electronic control.

Rock crawling, off roading, high snow, 4x4

Rain, fresh snow, slight mud awd.

Awd with a true Trac gives the same capabilities as a 4x4

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's is a difference between bthebterms 4x4 and 4wd...
My Denali doesn't have a "third" differential. The front differential can be locked electronically to provide 4x4. 4wd is a loose used term is what I'm stating. And yes, it has been used as a marketing term. I can't post my sources when I'm not on mobile if you'd like.
Point being, aside from the selectable button, with the option to lock the front wheels, the systems behave and act similarly with a locker and electronic control.

Rock crawling, off roading, high snow, 4x4

Rain, fresh snow, slight mud awd.

Awd with a true Trac gives the same capabilities as a 4x4

Yes, your Denali does have a third differential. It's inside the transfer case. I'm assuming you have the RPO code NR3, which is the BW4481 transfer case.

The Borg Warner (BW) model 4481, RPO NR3 transfer case is a one-speed, full time, all wheel drive (AWD), transfer case. The transfer case provides power to both axles, through an external planetary type differential, which has two different sets of pinion gears. The planetary differential provides a 40/60 torque split, front/rear, full time. This means both axles are constantly being driven for maximum traction in all conditions.

I don't understand why you're being so obstinate. An AWD must have that third differential in order to operate properly. My 2017 300C AWD also has a center/third differential. It's basic physics. Just like you need a mechanism to allow the two wheels on an axle to turn at different speeds, you also need a mechanism to allow the front and rear axles to turn at different speeds.

A part-time 4x4 system has no such need, since it's only engaged in low-traction situations, and isn't powering the front axle 100% of the time.

Therefore, the systems are different.

about20ninj45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No. I don't have be a borg Warner, to each his own. We will agree to disagree

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No. I don't have be a borg Warner, to each his own. We will agree to disagree

Ok, so you have the NVG149 transfer case:

The RPO NP3 is a single speed, single mode transfercase. The mode is full-time all wheel drive. It has a planetary differential gear set that splits the torque, normally 38 percent to the front wheels and 62 percent to the rear wheels.

Click here if you want to see the original document

Wow, you're really that thick? You can't have an AWD system without a center differential. Please explain to me how you think a system without one would work. How can the vehicle make a sharp turn on dry pavement without tire scrubbing?

about20ninj45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so you have the NVG149 transfer case:

Click here if you want to see the original document

Wow, you're really that thick? You can't have an AWD system without a center differential. Please explain to me how you think a system without one would work. How can the vehicle make a sharp turn on dry pavement without tire scrubbing?

Are you still carrying on about this? Apparently, and shouldn't it be obvious, that I don't care about what your saying, your the one being "Thick"

Go troll elsewhere, I ain't the one...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harry26