AWD VS 4WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alan2017

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am owner of both 2011 Yukon Denali AWD & 2013 Escalade EXT also AWD. Maybe this issue has been discussed before but my real concern is how is my AWD works and how its comparable with a non Denali Yukon / Chevy Tahoe 4WD system ?
Thank you
Alan

Last edited:

Mechanic421

06 Denali XL
Reaction score
Awd has a open differential in the transfer case.
4wd locks front and rear together and gear reduce aka low .
Awd should use braking system to help with traction.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Denali is AWD and my Suburban is traditional part-time 4wd. Both trucks have the G80 locking rear diff.

Now, the difference in snow driving may be due to the difference in tires - Duratracs on my Burb, all-season highway tires on the Denali.

I hate driving the Denali in snow. The Burb is absolutely unstoppable.

I just put Michelin Defender LTX tires on the Denali, and they should be appreciably better in the snow, so I'll make the comparison again with the new this winter. But I generally dislike AWD because it has that third differential in the powertrain.

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have both types of 4WD and personally, I like the AWD for daily driving in various conditions, since I'm in the city now & PT/select 4WD isn't very useful to me.
AWD you get varied output from all 4 tires as-required, all the time and no stopping/shifting is required. The ABS aids in situations where more traction is needed. The center-diff works great so that you can steer the vehicle on pavement, binding/drag nonexistent and nothing breaks or wears out even though truck is permanently in "4WD"

The PT 4WD is more useful for off-road and more-demanding traction situations like muddy roads, grassy slopes, tow/haul, steep snowy inclines where you have equal output from all 4 tires. The downside is you can't use selectable-type 4WD all time like driving interstate in a downpour such as where AWD really shines.

I wanted a Denali for the reason I like driving my LR (AWD) but you get what you get. Here in TX, its hotter than Haydes, doesn't rain for months at a time; when it does the interstate surface becomes slicker than owl shit so people who don't know how to drive, or just have bad tires lose traction driving 60+mph and take out 6 cars. AWD is an added level of comfort, hauling a$$ Up the highway, switching lanes, avoiding other drivers, 100% certain you will maintain traction at all times with a sheet of water on the road surface. I don't drive the 4x4 yukon like this. I thought this was the purpose of auto4, but everybody says not to use it on the pavement so I haven't even been able to use the 4x4 yet

Last edited:

about20ninj45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most newer 4wd is open differential as well unless you have a positive or locker. AWD uses the brakes for traction control in loss if traction, 4wd does not. On Chevy vehicles, AWD and 4wd are both the same. Both have g80's so they operate the same. And AWD vehicle will apply 60/40 output in a drive train and will spin the wheels the same, 4x4 in the other hand provides max power output to the tire with the most Traction.

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wasnt about to go into specifics. i was just providing an overview that doesn't require an ASE cert. or background in building comp rock crawlers to translate. this is a guy talking about 'what's better for my needs, 4WD or AWD, and why?' Type deal.
He just needs a real-world comparison that is relatable.

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The downside is you can't use selectable-type 4WD all time like driving interstate in a downpour such as where AWD really shines.

Well, the AUTO feature of the 4WD system is to engage the front differential but most of the power is sent to the rear tires unless the, "software determines a need for more traction". Nice peace of mind for when my wife has the truck or for driving through blinding rain on a crowded highway at full speed. I just love that the truck never gets upset going through those highway puddles.

about20ninj45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wasnt about to go into specifics. i was just providing an overview that doesn't require an ASE cert. or background in building comp rock crawlers to translate. this is a guy talking about 'what's better for my needs, 4WD or AWD, and why?' Type deal.
He just needs a real-world comparison that is relatable.

"how is my AWD works and how its comparable with a nonDenali Yukon/ Chevy Tahoe 4WD system?"

That's what the op wrote, so I showed him how the two systems compare with each other. Easy enough to understand unless he's not mechanically inclined.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Banjomatic