AWD Debris on Front Differential Magnetic Plug

Discussion in 'Engine & Drivetrain' started by shreksbrother, Oct 5, 2017.

1. ezstriper

ezstriper Member

Name:
    Rob
    it was a change after they were having issues, but you guys use whatever you want

2. HiHoeSilver

HiHoeSilver Away! Supporting Member

Name:
    Nate
    What issues? And when? My 06 manual also specs 75w90 synthetic axle lubricant.

3. 6speedblazer

6speedblazer Member

Name:
    mark
    i replaced the all the bearing and seals. pinion bearings were fine, but figured since i was in there might as well refresh it

4. ivin74

ivin74 05 Yukon Denali

Name:
    Ivan

I was like you (06 Escalate) the first time I almost paid $1200 bucks to rebuilt my diff but after if failed the second time (18 months later) I was like hell no, not another $1300. The weak link on these diffs (GM 8.25 IFS) is the adjuster lock tabs, they are know for breaking off creating creating play on the internal parts. To avoid this from future failures is to rebuild your self and center punch the adjuster threads after the backlash is set. These diffs are not hard to rebuild if you have patience, I rebuilt mine for $200 and that included buying some of the specialty tools I didn't have. It was a great learning experience and would do it again if I had to.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    shreksbrother and swathdiver like this.
  5. 6speedblazer

6speedblazer Member

Name:
    mark
    they really are not bad at all to do.

i had 200 in parts, i got a master rebuild kit with all the seals, bearings, crush sleeve, pinion nut ect. then i had like 80 bucks in that stupid adjuster tool.

6. Davidh

Davidh TYF Newbie

Name:
    David
    I hate to chime in, I had just bought my 2004 Tahoe with AWD and reading what you guys found pushed me to change my front diff oil, I had the same stuff on the plug what you had. I'm doing the same filled it with new oil and going to drain next month to see what it looks like. My truck as 185,000 on it. I'm looking forward to see what yours looks like when you drain it. Thanks for all the information my first Tahoe and just learning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. 06Escalade

06Escalade Member

Name:
    Scott
    How much time did it take? How long would i be without the truck which is a DD? OP, not trying to hijack your thread, I think this applies to you also.

8. 6speedblazer

6speedblazer Member

Name:
    mark
    once i had all parts on hand, mine took 4 days to rebuild. but im on 12's at work. so that was pull diff day 1. day 2 explode diff then clean and inspect all parts, day 3 install new parts and assemble diff, day 4 install and test drive. took me 4 days but only getting to work on it for an hour or two a night.

should be a single day job for any decent shop

ivin74 and 06Escalade like this.
  9. ivin74

ivin74 05 Yukon Denali

Name:
    Ivan

If you have all the parts, oils, etc and tools on hand you can knock it out on Saturday, most of the tools I borrow them from Autozone, do not waste you money on buying the tool that is out there (its junk and useless) to adjust the locking adjusters, its cheaper to buy a 33 mm socket at HF and make ur own adjuster tool. Using an impact gun saves a shit load of time.