Autoride Suspension Replacement with Bilstein 5100's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JT 07LTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just want to make sure I have all the right parts I will need to do the install correctly, have a decent ride, and not have any dash lights.

I currently have a Rough Country 2" level up front and 1" coil spacers in the back with the stock autoride suspension that is shot.

These are the parts I have put together to order after a lot of research:

2x Bilstein 24-186940 - Bilstein B8 5100 Series Shocks (fronts)
2x Bilstein 24-187237 - Bilstein B8 5100 Series Shocks (rears)
2x Moog 81069 Coil Springs (rear springs to replace soft autoride springs)
4x Moog K160072 Coil Spring Insulator (top and bottom of rear shocks)
4x Uxcell 25W 3.9 Ohm 5% Wirewound Resistors

I have two other questions:
1. I have heard that the Moog coil springs raise the rear some. Should I install without the rear spacers so I am still leveled?

2. If I keep the rear spacers, can I set the front 5100's to the next notch up from stock height to lift the front of the truck more?
I have read conflicting opinions of going above 2.5" of lift in the front with 4wd and it causing issues.

Thanks guys!

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
Looks like you have all the right parts. I would go ahead and set the front shocks at 1/2" lift. Install everything together and measure fenders when done. Disconnect the ride height sensor too cause that changes voltage to the shock as suspension travels. Not 100% if any codes pop up from them being disconnected or not. If so measure voltage and resistance on one when in normal position. Then you can order resistors for them. Post pics and let us know the results!

OP
OP
JT 07LTZ

JT 07LTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like you have all the right parts. I would go ahead and set the front shocks at 1/2" lift. Install everything together and measure fenders when done. Disconnect the ride height sensor too cause that changes voltage to the shock as suspension travels. Not 100% if any codes pop up from them being disconnected or not. If so measure voltage and resistance on one when in normal position. Then you can order resistors for them. Post pics and let us know the results!

Thanks man. I didn't realize that the 5100 struts had a 1/2" setting. I thought the first notch was 1" up from stock. I will look into disconnecting the ride height sensors and see if I will need resistors for those. Hopefully this will give me a little more lift and ride a lot better than it does now.
Are there any other parts I should replace while I'm down there?

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
That should be everything but down the road if you want better upper ball joint angles you can get lift arms. This helps to gain clearance between droop stops and arms.

OP
OP
JT 07LTZ

JT 07LTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That should be everything but down the road if you want better upper ball joint angles you can get lift arms. This helps to gain clearance between droop stops and arms.

OK I'll check them out. So just to be clear, should I keep the rear 1" spacers in if I set the front shocks to 1/2" lift on top of the 2" spacer I already have? I read that the new Moog rear Springs will give me some lift over the autoride Springs I'm replacing.

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
OK I'll check them out. So just to be clear, should I keep the rear 1" spacers in if I set the front shocks to 1/2" lift on top of the 2" spacer I already have? I read that the new Moog rear Springs will give me some lift over the autoride Springs I'm replacing.

Yeah they will give you some lift but still think with 1" spacer you will need 2.5" up front. What's your current fender heights?

Lil_Stump

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry if I'm kind of jacking the thread, but figure it's better to ask here then make a separate thread for basically the same topic. Got my RC 3.5" lift on now, and I'm wanting to do something similar to this, and delete autoride, but I have a few questions.

1 - Should I go for the Moog Z71 springs for the rear, or lift springs, like 1-2" lift springs for rear?
2 - I'm either doing rancho or bilstein 5100's for shocks (bilsteins if I can spare the extra cash, and would much prefer them) but I'd like to know, for the front strut, can I buy 4 of the MOOG 81069 Z71 springs and use those for the strut and rear, or are the springs in the front and rear different?

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
Just get rear springs and swap them out for the rear springs. Front springs are the same for auto ride as far as I can tell with part numbers. Run bilstein 5100 front and rear.

OP
OP
JT 07LTZ

JT 07LTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got all the parts in! I'll do the install early next week. (excuse my daughter's mess)
20161123_172418.jpg

OP
OP
JT 07LTZ

JT 07LTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I totally forgot to disconnect the ride height sensors. Is it really important to do? Im guessing the change in voltage can burn up the resistors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu