Autoride & Leveling Kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pshrop

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was contemplating putting a leveling kit on my 2013 Yukon Denali, but understand it has autoride. You can obviously tell the front end is low when parked - does autoride level the car while I'm driving such that I don't need the kit? Will the kit mess with my autoride?

Thanks

MidwestMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since no one else jumped in, I'll take a shot at it...

Autoride is not about height or leveling, it checks the road surface every 20-milliseconds and "varies the amount of shock damping".

Basically adjusts the shocks as you go for the smoothest ride.

GM's auto-level had measured the back end height and adjusted the shocks with a built in air compressor when you put a heavy load or a trailer on the back end.
My old 2002 Tahoe had both from GM.

If you're looking at an aftermarket air shock kit, this is were I get foggy on you.
To keep the autoride you would need shocks that take the autoride computer input, as well as accept the compressor.

Do you know what you have for rear suspension now? The codes in the glove box should help out for this. And I'm surprised that an Denali with autoride doesn't have autolevel, but I'm not that familiar with them.

I loved the autolevel on my last Tahoe because it always had a trailer on it. I was worried about losing the leveling feature on my 2014 SSV, but the ZW7 - PREMIUM RIDE SUSPENSION (from the glovebox codes:) has Nivomat shocks which basically have valving to level themselves out when there is a heavy load. So far it seems like it works.

Why do you need the leveling kit in your ride?

OP
OP
P

pshrop

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The leveling kit would raise the front of the vehicle about 2" so the gap between the tire and the top of the wheel well is the same as the back. This gives a little more ground clearance and helps with tire rub (if experienced). Although I admit I'm most interested in it because I think it looks better.

I don't have any understanding of how autoride and autolevel work, which is why I'm asking the question. I know the lift kit is no big deal (spring spacers or torsion keys?) for a Tahoe without auto ride/level (<$200). I also know it's a much cheaper/simpler operation that a lift kit. However, I have no idea if these Denali features complicate it any.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As Mike said, there are two systems- Autoride and Auto Level. I think both systems use the height sensors on all four corners to adjust the shock damping and rear height adjustment. I believe these sensors also play a part in the Stabilitrak operation. So, lifting the front may affect the way these systems operate. If it were me, I'd adjust the height sensors in the front after the lift so that they are at the same position as they were before the lift. Probably just need slightly longer links. This way, all the systems won't have any idea that it's sitting differently than stock so it should operate as such.

But, someone here with actual experience may chime in and tell you that nothing is needed and you can level it and move on.

Graystone_OG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From my understand Autoride only levels the back as the shocks have a bladder around them and a small compressor. As you load the back, it brings up the height so it doesn't have a sagging look. The front doesn't raise or lower at all, but works with the back to soften or stiffen the shock depending on the terrain and load.

al2fast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put the leveling blocks in the front of my 09 YD. I took measurements of the arm on the sensor before leveling and just made a bracket to relocate the bottom mount for the sensor. It was a piece of galvanized metal for mounting a garage door opener. I put it in the vice and hammered one edge 90* for stability and rattle canned it black.

20171202_221526_zpslwwecnfw.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charkmapman