Autoride conversion to standard shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrpep

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It actually has one just don't know what it is - I bought it this way. It had gas shocks bypassing and aftermarket springs -

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pnwdan

Cunning linguist
Reaction score
The auto ride springs sit lower because the air shock is part of the suspension. If you swap to non auto ride springs it will stiffen it up and get it a bit higher. I would definitely do the helper bags instead because it gives you adjustability for the load. They are made by Air Lift and go inside the rear springs and can be picked up for under $100. Most of us with lowered trucks have them. They've increased my ride quality quite a bit and I can still tow full capacity. If you are at stock height, you can order the standard ones for your specific truck. If you are lowered there are ones we use from another vehicle. I can't recall the part number but if you search this forum you'll find it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

mrpep

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The shocks that I had were not working and had my Yukon jacked up. When I got on the highway and hit big bumps it would rattle the heck out of the truck. I put these cheap monroes in and problems solved but it did level the truck out. No more jacked up read. Just wonder if I can tow my trailer .

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These are the air bags. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...1-_-air-lift&gclid=CJWlw_-ftc4CFUkkhgodC9AOOw

I removed my autoride junk and used billstein 5100`s. I tow a small trailer, About 2000 pounds with 150 tongue weight, 325 pounds of dogs and about 200 pounds of other stuff in the back and it only sits slightly lower than the front. It tows fine but it`s a small trailer, 6x12. Anything bigger and i would buy the bags in the link over stiffer springs because i hate it when the rear of my truck sits higher in the back. With the bags you just deflate them when you`re done towing.

mrpep

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So these sit inside the springs ?

RND Customs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When i pulled my air ride shocks the main thing i noticed is the ride got extremely spongy. Like driving a boat down the road. The shocks i used will definitely contribute to the body roll and perhaps nicer shocks will help reduce it. The fact is; factory air ride suspension does a lot more work than you think and simply removing it might not be the best option for some people. I'm not recommending keeping the factory air ride but if you want to keep it simple it might be better to replace and repair it. It has gotten really cheap to buy a compressor kit with 4 shocks.

IF you decide to remove the factory air ride, I highly recommend buying nice shocks for the front, and manual air shocks for the rear. I do a ton of towing and i need the air shocks since the springs alone are not enough to hold a loaded trailer. I would not recommend helper bags that go in the springs for any real towing or long term use.

I use these
http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts...lid=CPm7kce62s4CFZRbhgod1YUOZA&ad=47433952092

Not necessarily from this supplier but when i typed it into google it was the first hit. You simply add a valve stem somewhere, mine on my rear bumper next to the spare tire access, and add whatever amount of air you want to balance the vehicle load.

crabbman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i have seen a lot of post about this and is it really as simple as putting on the new shocks and pulling the RTD fuse? Not really wanting to spend $800 on new autoride shocks and compressor.

Hello, I just tried this fix and i still have the error message on dash?
This is a 2002 GMC YUKON SLT.
I did try the kit for third party shocks with cutting the main wires to each brake with a resister attached.Maybe i need to do a re-do on the wire fix i just did,or have some more help on this lovely shock absorber challaenge we GMC owners have in changing our Auto-ride shocks.
Thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442