at home engine replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MYTQUIK

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have you checked any of the small car lots on HWY 99,
Aurora AVE, Evergreen WY or Lake City WY? A lot of the smaller lots don’t advertise.

OP
OP
Squirrelsmith

Squirrelsmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy a decent Tahoe or Yukon that you can drive for a little while, then buy a house next door or across the street from a mechanic (single or with a badgering wife) that likes beer and the rest is simple.
That's kind of what I'm doing. My best friend at work that I stand next to for 40 hours a week is a car guy. He recently put a 1980s mercedes turbo diesel engine in his toyota truck. Made a lot of parts for the swap at our work, we are prototype machinist. He is always down to help out.

OP
OP
Squirrelsmith

Squirrelsmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you checked any of the small car lots on HWY 99,
Aurora AVE, Evergreen WY or Lake City WY? A lot of the smaller lots don’t advertise.
I have not been doing that. I live on 99 just before you get to downtown everett. So I probably should be

mals

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not been doing that. I live on 99 just before you get to downtown everett. So I probably should be
Are you also looking at Facebook Marketplace listings in your area? As much as I don't like FB, the use of the market place as a classified section is really starting to replace the use of Craigslist in my area. A quick search for listings around Everett, WA shows a ton of NBS and a handful of OBS tahoes and yukons. If your up for a 2-door model there is one in Marysville that might be a fun ride.

OP
OP
Squirrelsmith

Squirrelsmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I havent been on facebook in forever. I actually forgot my password to it as well as the password to the email account i used to set it up

nadthomas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before spending more money on something that you know is essentially going to be a restoration project out of the gate, and being unsure of your ability to execute said project. I would be sourcing an engine for that Grand Cherokee that is just sitting in your driveway. Find a used engine on car-parts.com from a local yard, that tested the engine before pulling it, and will provide at least a short warranty. If you drop the exact same engine in, its generally a pretty straight forward process and good for a first time wrencher. Just bag and label everything, even if you don't know what it is assign it a letter or number. Organization is key if you want to get it back together correctly.

Depending on your definition I am a millennial myself, just an older one. I replaced my first engine back in 05 right after college. I had done really simple things like a cold air intake, alternator, and one oil change myself. Nothing close to an engine swap, and I had to pay shops to do almost all of my maintenance up to that point. I had spun a bearing in the car I owned at the time, and after doing a good amount of research I replaced the motor myself using a Ford tech CD and Haynes manual as two sources for reference. I did it in my parents garage largely using a just a standard 300 piece craftsman tool set, an additional set of wrenches, pliers, and screwdrivers. Also, I was a computer science engineer major, so its not like college or my career helped prepare for the task.

Since replacing that first motor I do all of my own automotive work(except tires and paint). With the exception of when I have purchase newer cars and something needs done under warranty. Even then I still cringe at having someone else touch my car, because when I get the car home and check it over I almost always find something that they half-assed.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mimi66972