Assistance in Harmonic balancer/ timing cover removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cleandenali31

Reaction score
Hello everyone. As some know I need to replace the the oil pump on my 07 escalade 6.2L I have gotten the oil pan removed. Now I'm looking to get the harmonic balancer removed and then take the Front engine cover off.

My questions are is there anyone with knowledge on how to do the Harmonic balancer correctly, I heard I might need a flywheel lock tool, that is almost impossible to find in store, and if there's an alternative to that if I can't locate one. My second question minimum is needed to come off the front of the block (pulleys, belts, ect) to get the Front engine cover off.

1_8TTony

Reaction score
Just place a socket extension thru one of the holes in the flywheel to prevent it from spinning. It's what I do. Works every time.

And YES, use the proper installation tool when installing the balancer.....don't beat it into place.

Ennis_D

Reaction score
You are going to need a puller that is specific to these trucks. They are also listed for other vehicles as well. You will need to place a prybar between the pulley and under the mounting bracket for the A/C compressor to hold it in place while breaking the balancer bolt loose. It will take some force so dont try it w/o a good pull handle. 24mm socket on the balancer bolt.

Once you are all done, you will also need a specific tool to reinstall the balancer. Kent Moore J-41478 & J-41665 will get you home. Cant be found on eBay from Atlantic City Pickers as a complete set for <$100 shipped. OR you can make you one using a 9-10" M16X2.0 10.8 steel bolt, matching nut and larger washer to be a pusher.

Again, buy the tools, dont beat it on and trash bearings/washers in the bottom end.

I just went through this entire process to replace a cam position sensor in my wife's truck :hammer:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts