Are These Buttons Supposed To Be Backlit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Justinj360

Justinj360

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You will have to unscrew it from the base off the windshield in order to take it apart. However it is super easy to take the mirror off the windshield. Take the little plastic cover that covers the wire off. And then unplug the wire harness from the back of a mirror. And then on the bottom side of the base where it's mounted to the windshield there's a little star patterned screw. Unscrew it and the whole mirror comes off the little mount and the mount stays in the glass. Its pretty simple. It's been a while since I have torn apart a center view mirror. Along the edge of the mirror housing there is a small plastic seam that runs all the way around the mirror. I believe that it's just a little speed clip type clips that hold it together and they can be popped apart with a flathead screwdriver. You just have to be very gentle and take your time.

Noted! I'll get to that part as soon as the weekend rolls around when I don't need my daily driver.

OP
OP
Justinj360

Justinj360

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are talking about the front overhead AC controls above the rearview mirror, those are wired in series. There are 4 bulbs, and wired in two sets of two. So if one bulb burns out, two bulbs will actually go out. When you wire those, wire them exactly like a 99-02 AC control panel. I have a write up on here explaining it. Use a 330 ohm resistor on each pair of LEDs, and make sure you have them wired in series a multimeter will help you trmendously for this part, helping you do continuity tests to see where each circuit goes, and which end is positive and which end is negative.
Read this thread and see if it helps. Just disregard the part about the separate lower panel, because your overhead control only has one panel in it. Just pay attention to the first part where I describe how to do the 4 LEDs on the main board. You need to do your panel EXACTLY like that.
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thre...-yukon-ac-control-backlights-with-leds.16839/

So, I'm a little confused and want to clarify something. You're saying to do it exactly like that piece in the link even though it's not the same part as the overhead controls and it's older than mine?

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I'm a little confused and want to clarify something. You're saying to do it exactly like that piece in the link even though it's not the same part as the overhead controls and it's older than mine?
I'm saying that the bulbs are wired in series just like that. So yeah, you will want to wire your LEDs exactly like that. I don't remember exactly which ones will need the resistors, but that's basically how you will want to set them up once you use your meter and find out which leg is positive.

OP
OP
Justinj360

Justinj360

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm saying that the bulbs are wired in series just like that. So yeah, you will want to wire your LEDs exactly like that. I don't remember exactly which ones will need the resistors, but that's basically how you will want to set them up once you use your meter and find out which leg is positive.

Okay. So any chance I can splice in that resistor in one of the wires like you did? That's a neat trick! It'd be nice to skip the resistors for each bulb

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay. So any chance I can splice in that resistor in one of the wires like you did? That's a neat trick! It'd be nice to skip the resistors for each bulb

Not on your panel. You don't have that smaller separate panel on yours, that's only on the 00-02 main AC controls. But your panel has 4 bulbs, and they will need to be wired in series just like the 4 main bulbs on a 00-02 panel.

OP
OP
Justinj360

Justinj360

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the weekend finally rolled around a year later... I have the mirror disassembled and I'm not seeing anything obviously broken. I have been searching for a repair how to for the flickering display but I haven't found one for my year (2004). Can someone point me in the right direction?
The LEDs in these mirrors are some tiny SOB's! So I probably won't be replacing those. Hopefully it's all connected to the flickering issue.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Justinj360

Justinj360

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think I just found part of the issue. R74 (Bottom in picture) is completely missing a component. That probably explains why the buttons don't light up. Is it possible to use something else to connect it? Like a resistor? No idea what was there originally.

WP_20171203_17_50_44_Pro_LI.jpg

Dan Acosta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know if the traction control (round button) is supposed to be back lit and can it be upgraded to LED?

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know if the traction control (round button) is supposed to be back lit and can it be upgraded to LED?

Yes and no. On a 00-02 the traction control button is on the driver's side above the headlight switch. The actual button does not light up, but the words "Traction Assist" do light up. Here is a picture of one that I have done with blue LEDs. On a 03-06 the traction control button is a smaller button to the right of the radio and AC controls, there are no actual words on that one, just a symbol. And yes the button itself lights up on the 03-06 models.

IMG_20170512_155602360.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne