Are These Buttons Supposed To Be Backlit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything in my photos are completely stock. Every gmt800 platform truck and suv I've been in with that mirror setup is backlit at night. Even base models. I even bought The exact same mirror and swapped it into my 2001 Durango limited that I had cuz I liked the look and the buttons were still backlit. the rear audio controls on the back of my center console light up as well. Sounds like you could have a shorted or cut wire somewhere that leads to those backlights not working. But I would imagine that if that were the case, your climate controls wouldn't work period so I'm not sure. On your center mirror, does your compass and exterior temp screen light up?

OP
OP
Justinj360

Justinj360

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everything in my photos are completely stock. Every gmt800 platform truck and suv I've been in with that mirror setup is backlit at night. Even base models. I even bought The exact same mirror and swapped it into my 2001 Durango limited that I had cuz I liked the look and the buttons were still backlit. the rear audio controls on the back of my center console light up as well. Sounds like you could have a shorted or cut wire somewhere that leads to those backlights not working. But I would imagine that if that were the case, your climate controls wouldn't work period so I'm not sure. On your center mirror, does your compass and exterior temp screen light up?

Wait, you're saying the mirror's stock backlight color is green? My OnStar buttons have never lit up but the green light on the far left does. Yes, the compass and temp display work for me, as well as the airbag light BUT for a few years now when it gets cold outside the mirror display and airbag light start flashing randomly... Could be unrelated, I don't know where to start with that one. I will look around for a cut wire. I would imagine they would have a second power source for the lights..

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Yes the 3 buttons should light up green at night or when your headlights are manually engaged. Every one ive seen in person does. I've seen some guys say their temp screen is super dim or stops working due to the the wires coming disconnected on the circuit board inside the back of the mirror housing. That could be a reason your buttons on your mirror don't backlight at night. There could be something needing to be resoldered on the circuit board.

OP
OP
Justinj360

Justinj360

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Yes the 3 buttons should light up green at night or when your headlights are manually engaged. Every one ive seen in person does. I've seen some guys say their temp screen is super dim or stops working due to the the wires coming disconnected on the circuit board inside the back of the mirror housing. That could be a reason your buttons on your mirror don't backlight at night. There could be something needing to be resoldered on the circuit board.

I had no idea. I figured they were white to match everything else. Okay any idea how to take the mirror apart? I would really prefer to leave it mounted to the windshield if I can...

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will have to unscrew it from the base off the windshield in order to take it apart. However it is super easy to take the mirror off the windshield. Take the little plastic cover that covers the wire off. And then unplug the wire harness from the back of a mirror. And then on the bottom side of the base where it's mounted to the windshield there's a little star patterned screw. Unscrew it and the whole mirror comes off the little mount and the mount stays in the glass. Its pretty simple. It's been a while since I have torn apart a center view mirror. Along the edge of the mirror housing there is a small plastic seam that runs all the way around the mirror. I believe that it's just a little speed clip type clips that hold it together and they can be popped apart with a flathead screwdriver. You just have to be very gentle and take your time.

Last edited:

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, my mirror in my 2001 doesn't have backlit buttons. They never lit up from the day I bought my truck back in 2006. But I also have an older style mirror, it doesn't have the OnStar buttons on it. On the 00-02 models, OnStar buttons are on the dash not the mirror. Damn, now you guys got me wanting to upgrade to a 03-06 mirror, LOL. At least I have an excuse now though, I've been noticing the temp screen on mine is sometimes cutting off or else getting very dim. I tap the mirror and it comes back on though, or sometimes I can press one of the buttons and it will come back on. I too have seen some threads about bad solder joints in the mirror causing the temp screen to act up, but that was only on the 03-06 mirrors, I wonder if mine has faulty solder joints as well. Its worth checking into I guess.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah mine has a sunroof so it sounds exactly like what you're describing.

So I'm currently trying to put LEDs in my rear HVAC controls and I'm having a little problem. I have replaced two of the factory lights so far and I can't get them to light up. The other factory bulbs in that piece haven't worked since I bought it too. I've tried switching the LEDs around because I know they only work one way but nothing. The HVAC controls work fine though. I don't know what to do. Any suggestions?

If you are talking about the front overhead AC controls above the rearview mirror, those are wired in series. There are 4 bulbs, and wired in two sets of two. So if one bulb burns out, two bulbs will actually go out. When you wire those, wire them exactly like a 99-02 AC control panel. I have a write up on here explaining it. Use a 330 ohm resistor on each pair of LEDs, and make sure you have them wired in series a multimeter will help you trmendously for this part, helping you do continuity tests to see where each circuit goes, and which end is positive and which end is negative.
Read this thread and see if it helps. Just disregard the part about the separate lower panel, because your overhead control only has one panel in it. Just pay attention to the first part where I describe how to do the 4 LEDs on the main board. You need to do your panel EXACTLY like that.
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thre...-yukon-ac-control-backlights-with-leds.16839/

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@ScottyBoy , if you're good with wires you could probably wire on a 2003+ mirror to your 01. I've seen it done.

Yeah, I'm VERY skilled with wiring. If I can do every switch in LEDs, and hardwire 03-06 power folding turn signal mirrors, and 04 Denali seats all in my truck, then I'm sure I could manage to do 5-6 wires on the mirror, LOL.