Are These Buttons Supposed To Be Backlit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justinj360

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm working on converting my dash lights to bright white LEDs and I'm wondering if these are supposed to have lights on my 2004. They might be burnt out on mine because they don't light up. Also, if anyone knows where a write up for these buttons are OR for converting the DVD player buttons that would be great!
The pieces are:

Rearview mirror with OnStar buttons

Rear seat HVAC/Audio controls

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The onstar buttons in the mirror do not light up. The rear HVAC/Audio controls in the back of the center console DO light up. On the Denali at least I know they light up anyway.

Also, be advised: When working with pure white LEDs you will have a few pieces end up looking light blue. That's because those parts have a bluish film in the face/graphic of the switch. I know for sure that the cluster has it, the rear wiper/foglight switch has it, and the pushbutton 4x4 switch has it. The headlight switch, AC panel, steering wheel switches, and door switches will all be pure bright white when using white LEDs.

OP
OP
Justinj360

Justinj360

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help! I figured the OnStar buttons wouldn't light up... Are the Denali rear controls different than the base models'?

I did find out about that bluish tint already but the only pieces on mine were the fog light button. I guess I got lucky!

You seem like you know what you're doing. Any idea about the rear DVD player lights?

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm honestly not sure if they are different from a Denali or not. I do know that models with the sunroof ARE different than the model's without a sunroof. The models with a Sunroof have the AC controls in the center console integrated with the rear seat audio controls. So that tells me that you have a sunroof if your controls are like that. Models without a sunroof have the rear AC controls mounted on the ceiling.
As far as the overhead DVD player, I don't know squat about it, I've never messed with one.

But as far as everything else, I know how to do the Sunroof switch, the Homelink buttons, the window/lock switches, the heated seat switches, and pretty much everything on the dash.
I have done quite a few LED lighting conversions for members of this website and a few other truck forums that I'm on. For instance, I did a lot of work for @05Single on his 2005 Silverado.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my on star buttons on my centerview mirror are backlight at night. I'll snap a pic in a few minutes when I go out to my Denali. That and the overhead and rear seat controls.

David Paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The mirror lights and rear HVAC controls light up on my 04 just as Bigbear's do.....

OP
OP
Justinj360

Justinj360

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm honestly not sure if they are different from a Denali or not. I do know that models with the sunroof ARE different than the model's without a sunroof. The models with a Sunroof have the AC controls in the center console integrated with the rear seat audio controls. So that tells me that you have a sunroof if your controls are like that. Models without a sunroof have the rear AC controls mounted on the ceiling.
As far as the overhead DVD player, I don't know squat about it, I've never messed with one.

But as far as everything else, I know how to do the Sunroof switch, the Homelink buttons, the window/lock switches, the heated seat switches, and pretty much everything on the dash.
I have done quite a few LED lighting conversions for members of this website and a few other truck forums that I'm on. For instance, I did a lot of work for @05Single on his 2005 Silverado.

Yeah mine has a sunroof so it sounds exactly like what you're describing.

So I'm currently trying to put LEDs in my rear HVAC controls and I'm having a little problem. I have replaced two of the factory lights so far and I can't get them to light up. The other factory bulbs in that piece haven't worked since I bought it too. I've tried switching the LEDs around because I know they only work one way but nothing. The HVAC controls work fine though. I don't know what to do. Any suggestions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos