Are extended warranties worth buying?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mwbutcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At the time of purchase I was offered a 6 year 125K mile bumper to bumper warranty for 1500 bucks from my Chevrolet-GMC-Buick dealer for my 2016 Hoe with the luxury package..I took it.
This is a typical GM offering or an off brand like Zurich???

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Texas70

Reaction score
20170524_002737.jpg

In my case it was worth it. This was the bill on my 15' Yukon for a right rear tail light back in May and all I paid was the $100 deductible. Glad I had it! Wasn't actual GM but still bought through dealer, Portfolio I believe was the name on the extended warranty.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 185977

In my case it was worth it. This was the bill on my 15' Yukon for a right rear tail light back in May and all I paid was the $100 deductible. Glad I had it! Wasn't actual GM but still bought through dealer, Portfolio I believe was the name on the extended warranty.

For several weeks now I have came across A LOT of 2015 plus Yukon's,Tahoe's and Suburban's with bulbs blown in the rear..Have not came across any bulbs blown in the rear of a 2015 plus Escalade yet.

Texas70

Reaction score
For several weeks now I have came across A LOT of 2015 plus Yukon's,Tahoe's and Suburban's with bulbs blown in the rear..Have not came across any bulbs blown in the rear of a 2015 plus Escalade yet.
Must be a common problem. On mine the led's were out so the whole assembly had to be replaced. You'd think with the technology in these things that something would've popped up on dash letting me know something was out, but as far as I know nothing ever did. Didn't know it was out until I had to follow my spouse driving it.

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whatever you buy - GM or off brand, be sure it is through the dealership. GM will honor those.

My wife bought the Off-Brand bumper to bumper extended on her certified used '11 Buick Enclave in 2013, through the dealership at time of purchase. It was $1200 or something at the time. It paid for itself 10x's over. We are 2 months from the end of the warranty and the alternator took a shit 2 weeks ago and melted a wiring harness and blew a ton of fuses etc. The car would have went to the junkyard after that little electrical fire. It was Schumacher Chevy near us that did the work. They honored the warranty; we didn't pay a cent; and had the car back in 4 days.

With all these newer vehicles getting so deeply integrated with the electronics, its not worth taking a chance. I plan on buying one for my new Burb soon.

911jason

Reaction score
I believe you can buy one as long as the original factory warranty is in effect. Previously I bought them on-line from a GM dealer in Pennsylvania (see my post up the line).

I couldn't find a post saying where you purchased your warranty. Do you have contact info for that dealer?

Kelzo

Reaction score
Can you purchase through a dealer if you didn't purchase the car there?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pikelk98