Are All Steering Wheels Misaligned (Not Centered)?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was comparing more of the steering wheel centered in relationship to the driver seat.

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe the Gangster Lobbyists paid all the manufacturers to do it. ;) :anitoof:

if one looks, all RWD vehicles have this offset. i havent driven any FWD cars recently, so cant speak to them.
i'd think safety is why the steering wheels are offset(off center) in the RWD models. Something about how the steering column absorbs/deflects energy from frontal impacts.

but who knows.

been this way for years

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score

if one looks, all RWD vehicles have this offset. i havent driven any FWD cars recently, so cant speak to them.
i'd think safety is why the steering wheels are offset(off center) in the RWD models. Something about how the steering column absorbs/deflects energy from frontal impacts.

but who knows.

been this way for years

What about 4WD & AWD?

02Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed this also on the 2015+, I think they did it to just have a larger center consol. I'm not sure this would bother me or not.

OP
OP
GTNator

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score

but who knows.

been this way for years

I've recently checked these cars and NONE of them have off-center steering wheels (in relation to the driver's seat): Toyota Sequoia, Toyota Tundra, BMW X5, Corvette, Ford Explorer. In fact, I've never seen an offset steering wheel in any vehicle except the GM Tahoe/Suburban variants. Not sure about the Expy.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tried another pic.
Steering wheel is true but cluster hood seems skewed to the right.

IMG_20170906_113815.jpg

OP
OP
GTNator

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tried another pic.
Steering wheel is true but cluster hood seems skewed to the right.

View attachment 182582

Can you take a pic of the steering wheel in relation to the driver's seat. For me at least, that's where it makes more of a difference as your arms will have to compensate. We're not talking about a lot, but the OCD in me "sees" it.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you take a pic of the steering wheel in relation to the driver's seat. For me at least, that's where it makes more of a difference as your arms will have to compensate. We're not talking about a lot, but the OCD in me "sees" it.

The steering wheel cover that I added is installed off center, which is a little misleading. ...but here's what I got.

IMG_20170906_115411.jpg

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about 4WD & AWD?

those would be included as they are RWD.

I've recently checked these cars and NONE of them have off-center steering wheels (in relation to the driver's seat): Toyota Sequoia, Toyota Tundra, BMW X5, Corvette, Ford Explorer. In fact, I've never seen an offset steering wheel in any vehicle except the GM Tahoe/Suburban variants. Not sure about the Expy.

vettes, mustangs, audi, bmw, toyota & mercedes .... all have similar complaints on their forums.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kentf3